Stereotypical French Dormer

Doug_N

How would one go about doing construction documents for such a complex dormer?  I have done conceptual drawing for the client, but my brain has frozen on how to actually build this.

image.thumb.png.4cdc3fe5e94c4240c58c4559b0b47687.png

image.thumb.png.23394e70d3b318bbdce0763e97ff6ca7.png

The house has standard framed construction with stone veneer.  I am thinking that the dormers be done in stucco.  Any thoughts?

Hey Doug,

I have seen some pretty intricate stuff like this done in foam covered with stucco. It is applied right over regular square stick built framing. Just the roof overhangs and fascia boards need to be worked out. Saves the weight and looks great. Where I'm at, we have a TrueFoam plant that will make pretty much anything you can design for their CNC cutout machine. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ValleyGuy said:

Hey Doug,

I have seen some pretty intricate stuff like this done in foam covered with stucco. It is applied right over regular square stick built framing. Just the roof overhangs and fascia boards need to be worked out. Saves the weight and looks great. Where I'm at, we have a TrueFoam plant that will make pretty much anything you can design for their CNC cutout machine. 

I will look into that.  My question is how do I detail that on the architectural drawings.

5 hours ago, Doug_N said:

My question is how do I detail that on the architectural drawings.

If they are only decorative dormers placed on top of the roof... maybe someone has already done the heavy lifting for you. I found these prefabricated ones on the internet.

111867765_Screenshot2023-12-12at10_35_35PM.thumb.png.b4894f2d3cfdae36f87d42e11655a6d0.png 1866347890_Screenshot2023-12-12at10_30_11PM.thumb.png.9a71222f881e579455ab7ac1d181fb95.png

Agreed w/ Shayne. Foam molding would be the ideal solution.

Many US companies carry basic profiles. But a company as Shayne pointed out would be the way to go.

Draw the profile, and they will cut it.

The fabrication is similar to a CNC machine for wood, except that it's cut from a foam block, and the tool is a super heated wire.  

Try this place below as well... Also located up North.

Check out the video. The process is quite simple. It's also pretty amazing. 

https://www.mouldexmouldings.com/pages/our-process

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VHampton said:

Agreed w/ Shayne. Foam molding would be the ideal solution.

Many US companies carry basic profiles. But a company as Shayne pointed out would be the way to go.

Draw the profile, and they will cut it.

The fabrication is similar to a CNC machine for wood, except that it's cut from a foam block, and the tool is a super heated wire.  

Try this place below as well... Also located up North.

Check out the video. The process is quite simple. It's also pretty amazing. 

https://www.mouldexmouldings.com/pages/our-process

Great solution thanks.  I contacted the company which is actually local to me.  

17 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Great solution thanks.  I contacted the company which is actually local to me.

You're quite welcome. Foam moldings enjoy an incredibly long life span.  

A stucco skim coat should result in even further durability.