Porch Shed Roof

Jonathan3891

Go to solution Solved by SNestor,

If you want the shed roof to intersect the higher roof halfway up, consider using CAD in a section view and determining what pitch that might be.  Might save you diddling with it after if you don't like the way a 2-pitch porch roof looks.  Be sure to use a baseline height (i.e. H.A.P. : height above plate) that is in line with the rafters needed for the span and load.

There is absolutely no reason to go with whole numbers for roof pitches, other than they are easier to type into a dialog box.  If 2 7/8 in 12 looks exactly right, then that is what it should be.  No framer or truss plant engineer is gonna blink at your fractional pitch, no matter what it is.

• Like 1

Thank you Jonathan for this topic, I am also having issues with porch shed roofs.

I have created a kitchen addition that includes a porch.  I was able to get the shed roof over the porch as per SNester's very helpful video.  However the roof area around the new kitchen bay window is all messed up and I can't seem to correct without messing up other roof lines.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Cathy

Kitchen Addn V.4 8-9-23.plan.zip