Chief's "stock" Rendering Tools

Mintplanner

I'm currently running 9.54 and POV Ray 3.5.  I realize I am waaaaay behind the curve here, but I'm upgrading in March to Chief's Latest version Xwhaterver.  Is the "stock" rendering tool good enough to impress your high dollar clients?  Or do I need to utilize third-party software for this?  I need to achieve results comparable to the attached image (because I'm currently paying to outsource this).

I'm also building a new machine, so feel free to make recommendations for hardware that will enable me to achieve this.

If third-party software is the answer, I'm open minded...nothing against Chief (I love you, man).

TIA

post-4603-0-31289700-1424552751_thumb.jpg

In all seriousness, it all depends on your toolset, skillset, and budget.

Can X6 or X7 produce that quality, sure, why not. 

Chief Architect's ray tracer uses CPU rendering.  Therefore, more CPU cores = better/faster images.  (The above referenced system would do well with any CPU ray trace engine)

However, there are other ray tracers in the world.  CPU, GPU and hybrid using both.  Do some research and try to match your skillset and budget to a new toolset.

jon

The rendering and ray tracing in the newer versions are way ahead of the old POV stuff. 

What type of projects do you do?   Attached is a render of a recent bath.  100% Chief X6.

Also, look in the "Time to show us your Goodies" thread for other examples from other users.

There are also some "other" rendering programs used for some of the posts so read carefully.

post-132-0-30434600-1424612173_thumb.jpg

DG, that looks great. Really really nice.

One suggestion, it's boring, try a different camera height, angle and maybe leave something out for our imagination. It's the composition my friend, try something different.

But really nice use of materials, lights and fixtures.

Tia:

Also check out some of the images posted on the Chief Architect web site as well as the Chief Architect Facebook page.  Keep in mind that there may be some content posted that was done by Chief users who may not have mastered ray tracing composition.  Setting up a scene and getting everything right (materials, lighting, angles, colors, Chief settings) takes some time to learn and although some Chief users have posted some really nice stuff, others who have posted images are/were still on a learning curve.  Same applies to other software used for renderings/ray traces.

Nice bathroom Dennis.

DG, OP said he's outsourcing and wants to get back up to speed with X6/7.  My recommendation was to get ALL his ducks in a row.  Hardware, software, people, and policy--it's all connected.

Going out and dropping 20K on a good 24 core CPU render workstation will have OP grumbling when he decides that Octane, Bunkspeed, or XXX GPU renderer is where the money's at; and in hindsight he should have spent his $$$ on dual Tesla K20s.

Opie needs to know what he doesn't know in order to ask questions germane to the knowledge he seeks.  Man, I'm starting to sound too much like DJP; all Zenny.

I better end here, before I start quoting some old dead Greek guys.

jon

Thank you all! I'm mainly residential, but a client of mine is going commercial and he wants me to handle his marketing in house moving forward. I never spent much time rendering in the past...wasn't impressed with what came in the "box" so I farmed it out. I was just wondering if Chief's latest version relieves the need to outsource renderings. The quality I am seeking was comparable to the multi-story rendering I posted. I need to handle condo building facades. After reading your comments it seems it might be a matter of learning the "tweaks".

Simultaneously, I'm planning to replace a desktop, so getting the right equipment to perform said renderings is part II of my querry.

Much Obliged

• 1 month later...

Big iron is what's called for if the OP plans on doing anything else that day other than RT.

GPU rendering can handle very large files, so long as the geometry can all be held in memory. Even multiple cards in one machine or the cloud for that matter.

GPU raytracing is not available in Chief, this requires 3rd party programs. Blender and Cycles are free if you want to check it out.

Lots of options available, but X7 is not to be overlooked either.

GPU currenly means a cuda enabled card, which only Nvidia has right now. Just something to think about.

Cloud storage would also be great, I think Cloud rendering is probably the future of all software NVidia already has something like that where you can run 8 Chiefs all at the same time and ray-trace in real time except they were using another program, it was sweet though. It a bit expensive.