Line Weights when sent to PDF ?

Chopsaw

I an not sure I have had this issue before but can't seem to be able to send a line weight less than about 16 to PDF.  Even a 1 or a 0 prints out the same as a 16.  Printing at 600 dpi. with Chief Architect Save As PDF and a  Drawing Sheet line weight of 1= 1/100 mm.  Even 4000 dpi. does not have any improvement.  Layout Line scaling or not gives the same result.

image.thumb.png.f2e807f748d88cdeef0a00031a12c98f.png

• Chopsaw changed the title to Line Weights when sent to PDF ?
9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I am not sure I have had this issue before but can't seem to be able to send a line weight less than about 16 to PDF.  Even a 1 or a 0 prints out the same as a 16.  Printing at 600 dpi. with Chief Architect Save As PDF and a  Drawing Sheet line weight of 1= 1/100 mm.  Even 4000 dpi. does not have any improvement.  Layout Line scaling or not gives the same result.

image.thumb.png.f2e807f748d88cdeef0a00031a12c98f.png

Have you tried changing your drawing sheet line weight scale to 1:150mm? I find that gives a little more control.

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Have you tried changing your drawing sheet line weight scale to 1:150mm? I find that gives a little more control.

Thanks Ryan,    Yes I have made adjustments as others have suggested in other threads to the drawing sheet line weight scale all the way from 1/50mm to 1/1000mm and it makes no difference to this situation.

I found out very late last night that printing with "Adobe PDF" driver does seem to handle the line weight issue but then makes a mess that must have something to do with line endcaps so I am not really any further ahead.

37 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Thanks Ryan,    Yes I have made adjustments as others have suggested in other threads to the drawing sheet line weight scale all the way from 1/50mm to 1/1000mm and it makes no difference to this situation.

I found out very late last night that printing with "Adobe PDF" driver does seem to handle the line weight issue but then makes a mess that must have something to do with line endcaps so I am not really any further ahead.

Gotcha.  Any chance you tried viewing the pdf in another pdf viewer?  I don’t know if that would make a difference but id does with other pattern issues for some people…

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Gotcha.  Any chance you tried viewing the pdf in another pdf viewer?  I don’t know if that would make a difference but id does with other pattern issues for some people…

Thanks Ryan,  It seems to be a template issue but I just can't seem to find the problem so I sent it to tech support.

1 hour ago, BenMerritt said:

There's a hard-coded minimum line width of about 1/300 in. for PDFs (when using "Chief Architect Save As PDF") in order to mitigate issues where zero-width lines would come through as extremely faint in many PDF viewers.

Hi Ben,  Is that something that has changed in one of the more recent versions ?  Also how would the 1/300 in. correspond to an actual line weight # using the default Drawing Sheet Setup of  1/100 mm ?

1 hour ago, BenMerritt said:

There's a hard-coded minimum line width of about 1/300 in. for PDFs (when using "Chief Architect Save As PDF") in order to mitigate issues where zero-width lines would come through as extremely faint in many PDF viewers.

Interesting as I have also been having this Issue in X15 ( maybe X14 too? ) and several Clients now have complained about the "massive" Lines in PDFs in the last few months, so I have been trying Joey Martin's Settings  which have helped some................   @joey_martin

from his post here :  

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Hi Ben,  Is that something that has changed in one of the more recent versions ?  Also how would the 1/300 in. correspond to an actual line weight # using the default Drawing Sheet Setup of  1/100 mm ?

This behavior dates back to X12 Beta 2.

By my calculations, 1/300 in. comes out to 0.085 mm, so between 8 and 9. With the rounding involved, slightly larger line weights than that may round down to match a line weight of 1.

As an additional restriction, the line will never be thinner than one "dot" at your given DPI setting, e.g. 1/150 in. at 150 DPI.