How To Draw From The Inside Out

usingchief

As an interior designer and contemplating using Chief Architect, I need to draw as-built drawings for my interiors projects - from the inside of the building, rather than around the outside ( as is seen in the your introduction video.)  Maybe just be able to create a 2-d and 3-d drawing of a couple of spaces - or an entire residence - using the measures I take of the interior walls, cabinets, doors, architectural features, etc.  ( as opposed to measuring the exterior and then drawing in the interior partitions, etc.  

Is there an easy, uncomplicated way to to that ?  I looked around for a video and in the knowledge base but did not see anything.  Did I miss something? 

There is really no requirement that you use Exterior Walls.  The only requirement is that the Rooms be contained within walls.  So let's assume that you just need a Kitchen, Nook and Dining Room.  YOu draw the outline of these rooms using Interior and Exterior Walls as needed.  This is then your "Building".

In the Dimension Defaults you set Temp Dimensions to Locate Wall Surfaces.  This allows the Walls to be accurately located by entering the measured distance between the walls vs the "Main" layers.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you can draw a relationally correct segment, single room or series of rooms using the software. I do a lot of kitchen and bath remodel projects where all that is drawn is the target room plus adjacent spaces. Commonly when I do a room addition, I draw the entire house at least as a shell so the client can see the impact of the addition attached to the main home.

I also have several Licensed Interior Decorator clients who hire me to draw relationally correct "as-built" home models that they then take and use to design renovation projects from. The "easy, uncomplicated way" to do this is to learn the software and its tools by way of study and practice to a point where you are just creating your conceptions, which takes a while to do but is worth the effort.

DJP

Like David I do mostly kitchens and baths. Another thing you want is to set you dimensions to locate casings. WHen I measure I always measure along the wall to door and window casings.

Interesting.  I never really thought about measuring to casings, but I can see your point.

Interesting.  I never really thought about measuring to casings, but I can see your point.

Mike - For remodeling I think it is the only way to go. New construction is different but

I only do remodeling nad have to make sure that cabinet/shower etc. is going to fit ;o)

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback, folks.  Very Helpful.  It would seem the price of ChiefArchitect is worth more with the added bonus of the friendly feedback from user groups. A design colleague is a big advocate of ArchiCAD but the UI seems a bit awkward when compared to CA. 

Formerly, I did mostly condocs for new construction.

Now, Realtors call me to do Virtual Staging of a few rooms, or to show what might be done with the space. I develop 'as-builts' for those rooms, and beyond so that the 3D work is close to what the prospective buyer will actually see. Most rooms have windows and the buyer needs to know something about that light. CA is a great tool for interiors.

This Users Group is 2nd to none, 24x7x365 because the CA installed base is all over the world. If you remember to post a plan along with a description of what you need to do, you'll find almost immediate help.

Welcome Aboard!

A little more than half my work is kitchens and baths for reno work. I always draw at least an exterior box and put a roof on it, seems to help with Ray traces. Dimensioning is easy to set up as noted, annotation sets help a lot with that.

I'd seriously consider Premier Version over the Interiors version. Anno sets and detail from view are the two biggest factors but there are another fistful of features that save time and worth the cost.

Another factor to consider is that in X6 they eliminated the ability to specify the allowance for rough openings which can be a real headache if you are working from plans or actual rough framing.

A little more than half my work is kitchens and baths for reno work. I always draw at least an exterior box and put a roof on it, seems to help with Ray traces. Dimensioning is easy to set up as noted, annotation sets help a lot with that.

I'd seriously consider Premier Version over the Interiors version. Anno sets and detail from view are the two biggest factors but there are another fistful of features that save time and worth the cost.

Another factor to consider is that in X6 they eliminated the ability to specify the allowance for rough openings which can be a real headache if you are working from plans or actual rough framing.

Ditto to what Mark said!