Upgrade from x13 to x15

GKA_Design

Hi brains trust!

I currently run x13, which I purchased outright a few years ago.  To upgrade to x15 I am offered a discounted price of $995 for the first year.  My question is, what happens after the first year? Will I need to pay an ongoing annual fee to continue using the program? What happens if I stop paying said fees? Do I still have full use of the program I paid up to?  Hopefully someone out there can assist, cause I'm confused with what I should do. 

TIA!

I would advise you to call Sales and get something in writing  ( email confirmation) of what is discussed.....

I believe going forward you would need to pay the annual subscription currently of $2000 ....  I also believe you can use X13 with no Issues

but am unsure of the situation if you go to the subscription Model and the stop paying again.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/37322-chief-architect-software-licensing-changes-beginning-january-10-2023/

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/licensing/***

*** Chief has changed the link above to lead to the Upgrade Page now

image.thumb.png.c0f91fa6edef62ca4e04bc00c927dad5.png

M.

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, antoine said:

so how much would I have to pay to upgrade from CA X13 to CA X15 and does it include SSA?

Best to Email Sales Direct (above)  but SSA is no longer available as all Sales and Upgrades are now on a subscription Model Only since Jan. 9th 2023.

Mick.

I’m starting to get very disappointed in CA. They are money hungry.

I just finished my 22month rent to own “grandfathered” as they no longer will allow you to buy your licensee out right.

To answer your question you are now being charged yearly. Since you upgraded. You lost your license when you did that! fyi, be mad, absolutely absurd!

To answer others about SSA. This Doesn’t exist unless grandfathered in, but if you cancel your SSA at anytime you will never be able to get it back. Even if your “grandfathered”. So no more updating if you choose that route. 

All this is them using all their resources to ensure you pay a fortune yearly as a subscriber for CA. They know most will just keep dealing with the price, so they will continue down a power trip until we as consumers speak up and leave. Plenty other great programs that do the same and better without this foolishness

On 1/16/2024 at 4:58 PM, AugurLiving said:

....They know most will just keep dealing with the price, so they will continue down a power trip until we as consumers speak up and leave. Plenty other great programs that do the same and better without this foolishness

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Every program I have followed (Softplan, Datacad, Vectorworks, AutoCad, and many others) all have adopted the subscription model.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 5:58 PM, AugurLiving said:

I just finished my 22month rent to own “grandfathered” as they no longer will allow you to buy your licensee out right.

To answer your question you are now being charged yearly. Since you upgraded. You lost your license when you did that! fyi, be mad, absolutely absurd!

To answer others about SSA. This Doesn’t exist unless grandfathered in, but if you cancel your SSA at anytime you will never be able to get it back. Even if your “grandfathered”. So no more updating if you choose that route. 

All this is them using all their resources to ensure you pay a fortune yearly as a subscriber for CA. They know most will just keep dealing with the price, so they will continue down a power trip until we as consumers speak up and leave. Plenty other great programs that do the same and better without this foolishness

I agree, in total I have paid over 7k for this program and training, i missed the oportunity be granfathered by 2 months, i asked for an exception and they told me to pack sand, i was offered a 1 year discount like the rest of the existing customers or told that I could try to make my X13 work for me which we are attempting to do while we look for a new software. Anyone have any suggestions? 

i have just sent an email back to CA sale and still waiting for a reply to mes below.
Thanks for the info, but i'm still not sure what happens after the year runs out. does that mean the software will not work if not upgraded?

rogd,
antoine

On 1/16/2024 at 5:58 PM, AugurLiving said:

I literally have no words...well, except for those...

• Like 1

I have been informed by the sale department that we will have to pay every year just to keep the program running regardless where we want to upgrade to a later version or not

Quoted from the sale dep;-      
(Antoine,
Correct, the software would be shut off the following year should you choose not to renew. If you need access to the software for another year, another year of the subscription would be required.)
Myself like many others are holding the CAX13 License which for the moment works without paying any more dues, but it’s not without its problem.
I started with 3D Homes which I think was the start of CA years back but have been using CA since 1997 seeing its ups and downs but everyone work out the problems that were found.
Personally I think that when we pay for an upgrade, it should stay for as long I we would wish even if the period runs into years. It does not seem like good business practice to be grabbing fees on a yearly bases like this, and also refrains people wishing to upgrade whenever they wish, as being in a bullying tactic.
I’m an Architect for more than 50+ and can take many directions, but CA once upon a time looked to advance it’s software for people to use and advance into many directions.
CA will lose lots by this direction taken of this yearly money demand.
but thanks CA for the previous years when you were popular.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 12:13 PM, joey_martin said:

I literally have no words...well, except for those...

What other programs out there are similar without paying subscription fees?  I just want a program I can buy and use for odd projects   not a professional biz running 24-7

Hi @TDzine, Home designer Professional by Chief Architect is an option to look at. I don’t think that is subscription based at least last time I looked anyway. You could probably just keep using X13 till enough new features are in HDP ?

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/home-designer-pro/

I hope the decision to go subscription only for CA full doesn’t lead to a mass exodus to other CAD products. Subscription based is a pretty level playing field there in the USA at the moment.

when you go buy a car or a land plot you run your car runs years after you bought it. your land plot stay until you sell it.
CA is or was a global software that was popular for its library's and its functioning, and above all looked to advance in it's software updates which CA users contributed to the said.
CA will loose a lot of its clientele because of this yearly payment.
if i want to rent it, then that is a different matter. but if i pay outright for it, it's mine regardless. 
CA.......... You need to re-think good about this one if you want to keep existing and future CA users 
intiseing users is better than loosing or dissuading them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, antoine said:

when you go buy a car or a land plot you run your car runs years after you bought it

Apples & Oranges, and you don't have to buy the subscription. You are free to use your current version for as long as you like.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, antoine said:

when you go buy a car or a land plot you run your car runs years after you bought it. your land plot stay until you sell it.
CA is or was a global software that was popular for its library's and its functioning, and above all looked to advance in it's software updates which CA users contributed to the said.
CA will loose a lot of its clientele because of this yearly payment.
if i want to rent it, then that is a different matter. but if i pay outright for it, it's mine regardless. 
CA.......... You need to re-think good about this one if you want to keep existing and future CA users 
intiseing users is better than loosing or dissuading them. 

Hi @antoine, time will tell but we were given fair warning about the changes coming. Many are still on the old SSA system and that’s cool for CA to do that for those loyal customers. After all many of them were paying SSA year after year.

I believe it would be good to offer upgrades to the old system SSA and upgrade fees to customers but they would have to keep paying SSA every year after that or you must go onto a subscription.

A year’s notice would have been better than just a few months. It’ no good crying over spilt milk as the saying goes but we must all move on. Just pay as you go from now on and the USA is mainly yearly subscriptions including Revit, AutoCAD, SoftPlan & Vectorworks. Archicad is still perpetual licensing and excellent software for Architects. 

Chief Architect is great for Architects and Project Home Builders because of its building quantity and estimating system including automatic framing. 

I am happy to pay a subscription if I ever have the need to use the upgraded version in the future.