Change depth all joists and rim

GeneDavis

Need to change from 9.5" joists to 11.875", and the framing is heavily edited and annotated.

What's your preferred way?  I thought I'd lock the framing, ensure autoframing is off, resize the floor frame spec in one of the rooms, copy it everywhere, and then edit the framing for depth.

Better way?  I won't be back on Chief for a bit so thus the question.

4 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Need to change from 9.5" joists to 11.875", and the framing is heavily edited and annotated.

What's your preferred way?  I thought I'd lock the framing, ensure autoframing is off, resize the floor frame spec in one of the rooms, copy it everywhere, and then edit the framing for depth.

Better way?  I won't be back on Chief for a bit so thus the question.

If it’s specific to floor framing. Turn off auto frame which if it’s

4 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

heavily edited and annotated

is probably already done.  Then you can marquis select all of the joists and group open them and change the depth.  Probably best to change it in your defaults in floor structure as well to keep from any issues with elevations etc.

The problem is with the way Chief does floor-level 3D.  I now have Chief on and can see.

Changing the floorframe depth from 9.5 to 11.875 moves the floor zero ceiling below down 2-3/8", but the floor level for floor zero remains unchanged.  Since I have all the floor zero wall framing built, and with some of it edited in bearing wall openings, I'll want to lock all the wall framing, edit the floor zero floor down 2.375", then using all layers off but wall framing and mudsills, move that down as required.

Then I'll have to make sure the foundation gets edited to ensure the footings are where they should be, and the manually edited frostwalls and stepdowns are all tweaked.

Whew!  What a mess.

The stairs will auto adjust to the additional 2.375" of rise, but I may want to add a tread to get the step rise more comfortable.

7 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

framing is heavily edited and annotated ...  I have all the floor zero wall framing built, and with some of it edited in bearing wall openings

I'm curious, since you're this far along, how / why such a fundamental issue as joist depth is just now cropping up?

I'd determined the floor could be framed using span tables in TJI's Specifier's Guide doc.  The tables are built around code minimums.

The builder told the client floors would be bouncy.  So I dug into improving, going up in series but at same 9.5 depth, topping out at the costly series 230 TJIs.  That's where others suggested the job go.

It turns out that the Series 110 11.875" do far better at a much lower cost premium.

i know I could just change the text callouts on the con docs, but wanted to see what it takes to true the 3D.  Hardly any work if you haven't framed, but there's some detail if you have and need to retain all the arrangements and details like plumbing boxouts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

So I dug into improving, going up in series but at same 9.5 depth, topping out at the costly series 230 TJIs... It turns out that the Series 110 11.875" do far better at a much lower cost premium.

I have found that as well.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. :)

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

It turns out that the Series 110 11.875" do far better at a much lower cost premium.

Gene, Thanks for the info.  Can you quantify the cost difference?  I do a lot of additions to older houses where ceiling height is critical and therefore often call out shallow joist size.

Actually, I guess I could take a look at Menard's website to get an idea...

(Also, I found your input re. room plate height based on drywall sheet size to be good info. too!)

Jim

Well, I successfully changed the plan so as to have an 11.875" depth floor frame in this one story house over walkout basement.  I thought I would describe the steps to see what others that needed to do this can offer as a critique.

First, I needed to do it this way because I had built and edited and annotated the floor framing and the wall framing in the lower walkout basement level.  I needed to retain this.

1. Selected a main floor room, edited its floor structure depth from 9.5" framing depth to 11.875".
  2. Copied this floor structure to all the other rooms on floor 1.
  3. Switch floor to level 0, select a room, lower floor elevation by 2-3/8", copy this to all other rooms in floor
  4. In elevation/section view, edit all foundation wall bottoms to lower them 2-3/8".  Do this by editing the FOOTINGS.
  5. In plan view level 0, use all levels OFF and select mudsill, then joists, then beams, then rimboard, and edit all to be deeper (mud sills move down 2-3/8")
  6. Use same level 0 view and level control to select and move all wall framing down 2-3/8"

That's it.  Done.