Nearly Flat Roof Cricket?

ACADuser

Steve has a nice method for slope roof crickets where the base line is level.

But I'm needing a method for low slope roof with a parapet.

My method is to get the height of the triangle in red and along with the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle.

Then calculate the small angle and apply it to a roof plane where the base aligns to the 12'-8.625" side.

This works but was thinking there may be a simpler way.

Any ideas?

Cricket.JPG

Before drawing the sloped triangular portion (as shown in your image above) keep the main roof plane running through that area. Then, with your preferred slope already set in the roof dialog, draw a new roof plane starting exactly at the bottom, running parallel to the new plane's desired ridge. Extend the roof plan up to the desired ridge. Adjust the valley line to the 45 degree angle from the ridge.

When you draw a roof plane directly over another roof plane, Chief will automatically start the new roof plane baseline elevation to match the elevation of the underlying roof plane at the location that you started drawing. Does that make sense?

image.thumb.png.9223483badb7a7857a92f2b1073f8763.png

If you're preference is that the cricket slope remain at 1/2:12, then we will need to alter the baseline. To do this accurately, we first need to know the baseline and ridge elevation of the cricket at 1/4:12. In your case, the baseline is 306" and the ridge is 308 1/4". The difference of 2 1/4" is the critical number.

Then, we need to know the length of the valley. All we need to do is dimension it or open that line and check it's length, In this case, it's approx. 152".

Now we need to know the angle for 2.25" of rise over 152" of run. I simply drew an polyline and measured the angle.

image.thumb.png.497eb67d5552c72bfdff91fef67cac3a.png

Now we can turn on the roof baseline layer and alter it. Once that layer is turned on, select the cricket roof plane and drag the END of the baseline to the high point of the valley.

Then open the cricket roof plane dialog and make sure the baseline elevation is locked.

You can then slope the baseline by entering the correct angle.

Then change the roof pitch to 1/2:12.

image.thumb.png.ea411cb043d8dfee22b62cd78087a7fb.png

The result is that the roof pitch is now tilted and sloping towards the valley.

image.thumb.png.f8ca64f2fe3d381f6c95da594c2e428f.png

55 minutes ago, robdyck said:

If you're preference is that the cricket slope remain at 1/2:12, then we will need to alter the baseline. To do this accurately, we first need to know the baseline and ridge elevation of the cricket at 1/4:12. In your case, the baseline is 306" and the ridge is 308 1/4". The difference of 2 1/4" is the critical number.

Then, we need to know the length of the valley. All we need to do is dimension it or open that line and check it's length, In this case, it's approx. 152".

That is the solution I came to in my original post although you did a better job figuring out the angle needed.

I wanted a higher pitch in that cricket to better deflect the water. Although that may not be necessary.

Thanks for your time & knowledge. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Chief will automatically start the new roof plane baseline elevation to match the elevation of the underlying roof plane at the location that you started drawing

Thanks for this tip.  I had a similar cricket problem last week and this is helpful.

Jim

• Like 1