How to make a ext insulated roof with thinner gables/eaves?

dskogg

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

HI everyone, I am trying to make a roof that is exterior insulated, its 11.75" thick on top of trusses, my issue is

i only want the fascia and eave to be 7" deep,

The only way i see to do this is to make another roof plane that is on the exterior of my wall that is non insulated and then manually move it up to 

match the insulated roof plane, and then i needed to manually pull up eave and gable walls to meet thinner roof plane.

Is this the correct way of doing this or is there a better way? 

543404892_Extinsulatedroof3dview.thumb.jpg.0884edb567ebb0f47c66ac485e4f6237.jpg 223617248_Extinsulatedroofcaspec.thumb.jpg.623706b268b8b8a7315d0d9c0ec6e3a1.jpg

I see your problem.  Your roof structure has, in effect, a sheathing depth of close to a foot, and no matter how you set your sufascia, which sets o'hang depth, you have that high buildup over that wants to be part of the o'hang.

I've used separate planes but for a different reason.

How doe it look to you with the separate roof plane?  It'll give the look you need in 3D, not so much in 2D plan view if you are doing a roof plan in layout.

Saw this earlier today and have thought about it a few times.

I haven’t tried this, but what happens if you use a roof plane for your roof structure and sloped ceiling planes for the insulation and lower portions of the roof within the building envelope?

• Solution
On 4/24/2023 at 11:43 AM, dskogg said:

and then i needed to manually pull up eave and gable walls to meet thinner roof plane.

Your Idea should work , but if you pull the insulated Roof inside the Walls and the non-insulate over the Walls it will control the wall's heights automatically.

M.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 5:35 PM, Kbird1 said:

Your Idea should work , but if you pull the insulated Roof inside the Walls and the non-insulate over the Walls it will control the wall's heights automatically.

M.

Thanks this work around did the job.

I think ca needs to start looking at exterior insulated roof assemblies and how to model them as we move to net zero type construction.

in Canada net zero ready will be code by 2032 I believe.. 

what’s going on in others regions?