X14 RTRT crashes ... sometimes

ProPlan_2011

I've been exploring RTRT since I got the RTX 4070 Ti and settled my new PC.  Running Windows 11 (22H2 22621.1413), Nvidia driver 531.41, also tried 528.24 and some older ones.

A soon as open in PBR-RT, a given plan will sometimes crash even before the first sample is completed (capped at 200), sometimes after 10 or 15 and some other times it will work endlessly whatever I do (zoom in/out, pivot, etc.).  Sometimes the initial PBR-RT comes up ok, but the error occurs an soon as I orbit the view or soon after.

The error, always '186':

RenderingPipeline.cpp(186): Error #272032750
"An internal rendering error has occurred and the program will terminate: Device Removed"
03/28/2023 03:40:28 PM
Build: 24.3.0.84 Windows 64-bit

I have downloaded and tried CA's Grandview plan: same issues.

I have tried with a simple plan: 4 walls and roof.  The error does not pop up.

I seems to be tied to the complexity of the plan, but I can't reproduce the issue consistently.

I also use TwinMotion with PathTracer: no problem.

Still investigating, but any thoughts?  Any similar experiences?

13 minutes ago, ProPlan_2011 said:

A soon as open in PBR-RT, a given plan will sometimes crash even before the first sample is completed (capped at 200), sometimes after 10 or 15 and some other times it will work endlessly whatever I do (zoom in/out, pivot, etc.).  Sometimes the initial PBR-RT comes up ok, but the error occurs an soon as I orbit the view or soon after.

First thing to check is if you have the most current drivers available for your graphics card through nVidia

9 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

First thing to check is if you have the most current drivers available for your graphics card through nVidia

Yep, downloaded from Nvidia last night.

I tried a few things in an attempt to isolate the issue:

• Preferences - Unselect 'Manage GPU Residency'
  • Rendering techniques PBR - Unselect 'Refraction', remove background.
  • Clean install of the Nvidia drivers, gaming and studio

Occasionally, RTRT will work without issue, so maybe some corruption under certain circumstances.  Still digging.

There are known issues with the 525.xx series of Drivers , and Chief confirmed about a month ago that 528.24 or 528.49 are good, and are the current Drivers they recommend,

The 531.xx Series has/had other Issues such as there Telemetry Data using 10-14% of the CPU after using a 3D App , though that has been fixed hopefully , I am back on 528.49 myself.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-driver-updates/?do=findComment&comment=290350

Mick.

2 hours ago, ProPlan_2011 said:

Tried 528.24 Studio, still no luck.

Personally I have never noticed any difference in Game Ready Or Studio Drivers , ie I've never had the Studio Version work , when the GR Driver didn't for any particular Driver.

For me , other than the afore mentioned Bad Drivers , the crashes have been associated with older Plan brought forward , eg  a Plan originally started in X11 or X12,

opened in X13 or X14, but I've never been able to track it to a certain action, though as you mentioned, I had crashes after trying to move the camera once open too.

M.

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Personally I have never noticed any difference in Game Ready Or Studio Drivers , ie I've never had the Studio Version work , when the GR Driver didn't for any particular Driver.

Since the Studio and GRD drivers have existed I've done a binary compare on the files a few times to save time with un-needed driver installs. 

Other than a few bytes that often change when packaging exe files and what could be a flag so the build knows which type it is, they have otherwise been the same. So Studio at present is just a subset of the more frequent GRD builds.

20 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

... For me , other than the afore mentioned Bad Drivers , the crashes have been associated with older Plan brought forward , eg  a Plan originally started in X11 or X12,

opened in X13 or X14, but I've never been able to track it to a certain action, though as you mentioned, I had crashes after trying to move the camera once open too.

Interesting angle.  The plan I am having difficulty with in X14 was started in X12.  It would explain why my other plans started in X14 don't have the issue.