Duplicate/copy Material Specs To Another Wall

dnpayne

Hey all. I'm trying to figure out how to duplicate what material settings I have set on a specific wall, to a new wall I have drawn. The exterior materials to be exact. I have the house complete and I'm drawing a separate garage that I would like to mirror the exterior look. I know there is a way to do this, but I can't seem to find it.

Select the Wall you want to copy - save it to the Library.  Now select that wall in the Library and simply draw the garage with that wall definition.

This is a great way to build a library of wall types - just be sure to create sub-folder(s) to put your custom wall types in.  It's much better than just using the "Default Exterior and Interior Walls".

If you have already drawn with a wall type in that particular plan, then the wall type is saved with the plan and easily accessible.

Double click the Wall tool, go Wall Types and select the wall type you want.

Joe's method is great for saving wall types for new plans.

Once a wall type is in the library you can assign it to a toolbar icon for quick reference.

• 2 years later...

I created a new wall for an exterior shower by selecting it, copy, rename, and changed the attributes. All worked as planned until I went to change the materials. The short video below will show you the steps and the resulting issue.

Apparently I have several duplicate materials, some with the same name (which I don't see how this is possible) and would like to find item is using these duplicates and change them to clean up my file/plan. 

Thanks for your suggestions.

Scott,

Even though you haven't assigned a material to an object, Chief has default materials for various objects.

If you go Defaults...Materials, you will probably find that the Grey3 Siding material is assigned to an object (probably Walls (Exterior).

• 3 years later...

Hi there Folks, 

I'm new to CA, but need to be able to have my ICF wall available in every new plan I open.  I've created it and it's in my library.  How can I get it onto my toolbar?  Or onto the Wall Tool Palette?  

Thanks for your help!