Top of Plate dim not accurate on auto story pole?

5Design

One way to check is to repeatedly use the "delete surface" tool to in elevation view until your top plates are visible, then drag your dimension to snap to the top plate.

Assuming the corresponding wall is at "default top height" in the the wall dbx.

It could have something to do with your roof framing, I know when I frame a roof using scissor trusses with raised heels Chief will always built attic walls between my top plate and roof baseline and the auto story dimensions will only pick up the top plate of the offending attic walls. The only way around I've found to get the framing correct is to frame the walls with a flat ceiling first, and then retain the framing in those walls before adding my sloped ceiling and creating the trusses. Which is always fun when a door or window gets moved later...

39 minutes ago, tundra_dweller said:

One way to check is to repeatedly use the "delete surface" tool to in elevation view until your top plates are visible, then drag your dimension to snap to the top plate.

Assuming the corresponding wall is at "default top height" in the the wall dbx.

It could have something to do with your roof framing, I know when I frame a roof using scissor trusses with raised heels Chief will always built attic walls between my top plate and roof baseline and the auto story dimensions will only pick up the top plate of the offending attic walls. The only way around I've found to get the framing correct is to frame the walls with a flat ceiling first, and then retain the framing in those walls before adding my sloped ceiling and creating the trusses. Which is always fun when a door or window gets moved later...

I built the truss using poly solids and it's just on the porch.  Wall detail has yet a different dim.  F@#$%g Chief!

Thanks for the input!

image.thumb.png.5bb59d93f17194a9184b41d8f357df9d.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, scottharris said:

Can you post a simplified version of the plan?  Sometimes wall heights can be modified; you might check the wall dbx, on the structure panel it has a 'default top and bottom'.  

Here you go.  Checked the wall dbx on a couple and the bottom was off for some reason, but didn't change anything when corrected.  End of the day it's not  a huge deal, it's a 10ft plate.  It's usually correct (except it adds a bunch of them that I don't want or need because of attic walls).  And speaking of which, I don't know of anyone who builds walls inside the attic.  Is there a way to avoid that?  There are occasions where a wall will go through the attic to get to a plate, but Chief just comes up with random walls a lot.

The snip is from the plan attached just off the front bedroom and entry, as an example.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.23372b35f564f8935f4cf95432d24910.png

4524 Merida 02.06.23.zip

3 hours ago, 5Design said:

Here you go.  Checked the wall dbx on a couple and the bottom was off for some reason, but didn't change anything when corrected.  End of the day it's not  a huge deal, it's a 10ft plate.  It's usually correct (except it adds a bunch of them that I don't want or need because of attic walls).  And speaking of which, I don't know of anyone who builds walls inside the attic.  Is there a way to avoid that?  There are occasions where a wall will go through the attic to get to a plate, but Chief just comes up with random walls a lot.

The snip is from the plan attached just off the front bedroom and entry, as an example.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.23372b35f564f8935f4cf95432d24910.png

4524 Merida 02.06.23.zip 148 B · 4 downloads

You need to make sure that the plan is closed before zipping or else the resulting file is empty.  Chief locks the plan file while its open. 

There are a lot of complexities, oddities, and options to consider including but not limited to:

1. Your Auto Story Pole Dimensions Defaults.  In particular, whether or not you have Primary Height Marks Only checked.  If you have this setting checked, you won't pick up on any wall heights aside from the very first one Chief finds without having to cross the model.
  2. The fact Top of Wall has been renamed "Top of Plate".  Might seem like a minor detail, but I think it might be worth considering what Chief is actually measuring to.  The wall (parametric object) and the actual plate (framing object) are 2 different things.
  3. Your 1st Floor Defaults.  If for example you change your default ceiling height to 121-1/8" your problem goes away.  If not, Chief is calculating your Top of Wall based on the (Baseline Height - Raise Off Plate - Vertical Structure Depth) or the location at which your roof is cutting off your wall. 
  4. Repurposing Top of Wall isn't your only option.  You can also simply use Rough Ceiling which is specifically designed to return the numbers I think you're actually looking for. 
  5. You can manually snap to any of the relevant elevation data points after the dimensions are automatically generated.  You're not limited to just those picked up by the Auto Dimension tool. 
  • Upvote 3