Printing Elevation using Scale Dimensions, not Actual

PJS-59

I like HO Railroads. I am getting started on a new layout and want to build HO Scale Houses and buildings.  I figured I could create the building plan with Chief Architect and print the elevations with Scale Dimensions to use for cutting and building the scale model.  I have created the first building, was able to set the print scale for HO (1/7" = 1') and print a "Full Size" elevation that I can use a ruler to get measurements from, or use as a template and cut printout and balsa wood together.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to show scale dimensions?  Ex house is 50' wide, HO Scale would be 7.14".  a 7' high Door would be 1" high on HO Scale model.

I have attached the 1st plan file

Basic 50x4 Duplex.plan

There are 2 different approaches you could potentially take for this one. 

1. Scale down ALL your various components before you start modeling (walls, roof structure, floor structure, window sizes, door sizes, molding sizes, etc.) and actually build the model to true scale.
  2. Create your own Units and use those instead.  You can do this by going into Preferences>General>Unit Conversions and then adding a new Unit.  The unit might look like this...

Pic.thumb.jpg.31bdf12fe7a46f13e6368f04a9547b20.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Create your own Units and use those instead.  You can do this by going into Preferences>General>Unit Conversions and then adding a new Unit.  The unit might look like this...

Well dang! I didn't know that. I never noticed you could add your own. I build wooden model ships to keep my sanity (jury's still out) and use this all the time to draw up custom parts. I always had to futz with the scale. Thank You!

• Like 1

Hi Patrick, I used to produce HO scale models myself using Chief Architect. I would build the model full size and use the export feature to send a scaled down elevation cad file to a laser cutting service and they would cut the building walls out of basswood stock 1/16" thick. 

1. Build your building full scale.

2. Create an elevation of each side of the building.

3. In each elevation create a "cad detail from view".

4. Open each cad detail and go to EDIT, SELECT ALL then go to the TRANSFORM/ REPLICATE tool and check

the box that say's RESIZE and enter .0149 which is 1/87th of 1. Your elevation will seem to vanish but just hit the F6 key and it will be back. What you now have is a perfectly scaled elevation that you can send to a layout at a 1" = 1" scale and print.

I now have 90% of what I need to create the HO model.  I used the print option with 1/7" = 1' to print full HO Size elevations.  I used the Secondary Format with new " HO Scale dimension to see actual sizes, so I have both Full Scale dimensions and HO Scale Dimensions on the printout. 

I am now missing 1 component, how  can I get the "Roof Plane" dimension for a hip roof? 

In Glennw's post regarding the "Print Model" in X10, it shows the roof planes.  I can not find a way to show the roof planes with actual dimensions.  Is this possible?

Patrick, not sure how accurate you are trying to make these buildings but at your scaling you are at 1/84th, HO scale is 1/87th.

If you are planning on using plastic injection molded windows and doors (available from Tichy) your openings would have to be accurately sized.

This should work...

If you select a roof (say, by its hip) and open its dbx, go to the Selected Line panel. You can see both the Projected Length and Length At Pitch.

Work out the ratio between the two and then apply that to a Unit Conversion similar to what you did previously with the scale.

You should then be able to use the Primary and Secondary dimension formats and dimension roof planes showing both dimensions. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.46.36 am.jpg

18 hours ago, glennw said:

This should work...

If you select a roof (say, by its hip) and open its dbx, go to the Selected Line panel. You can see both the Projected Length and Length At Pitch.

Work out the ratio between the two and then apply that to a Unit Conversion similar to what you did previously with the scale.

You should then be able to use the Primary and Secondary dimension formats and dimension roof planes showing both dimensions. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.46.36 am.jpg

I am using Chief Architect X14, I am unfamiliar with open its dbx?  I can get the the line length in full size inches, but not display it so as a dimension line with both dimensions so I can print it.

4 hours ago, PJS-59 said:

I am using Chief Architect X14, I am unfamiliar with open its dbx?  I can get the the line length in full size inches, but not display it so as a dimension line with both dimensions so I can print it.

dbx = dialog box

Double click an object or Open Object on the Edit toolbar to open an objects dbx.

The place where you can change an objects properties.

What are the "both" dimensions you want - do you want Real and HO scale rather than Projected and At Pitch?

Why can't you dimension a roof plane - what is happening?