Creating Custom Light Fixture

5Design

Hey Y'all,

In browsing other posts, I think I can do this, but wanted to see if anyone could confirm.  I'm having someone model a couple of fixtures I need to add to a render.  They will provide a 3d symbol file.  When I import them, will I be able to label it a fixture and add a lighting material to the bulbs so that it emits light in the render?

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, 5Design said:

I'm having someone model a couple of fixtures I need to add to a render.  They will provide a 3d symbol file.

Won't they add the light data? If not, then yes you can. Import the symbol as 'electrical'. Select 'Show Advanced Options', go to Options tab and check Light.

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Won't they add the light data? If not, then yes you can. Import the symbol as 'electrical'. Select 'Show Advanced Options', go to Options tab and check Light.

Thank you, sir.  I guess they might.  I've never had it done before.

I've rarely seen a fixture I couldn't model in Sketchup in ten minutes or less.  Import as "electrical," check "advanced," do all the material things, add the lights, edit positions, light specs, set origin, check which way it mounts (wall, ceiling) set origin, . . .

Make sure the model is done with all its parts in different colors so you can easily ID which is which when setting materials in Chief.

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, GeneDavis said:

I've rarely seen a fixture I couldn't model in Sketchup in ten minutes or less.  Import as "electrical," check "advanced," do all the material things, add the lights, edit positions, light specs, set origin, check which way it mounts (wall, ceiling) set origin, . . .

Make sure the model is done with all its parts in different colors so you can easily ID which is which when setting materials in Chief.

Yeah, I haven't learned Sketchup.  Thinking about going to Vectorworks.

Yeah those would be a little bit of a pain to model in Chief.  Doable, but a pain.

I always look for something close in Chief's libraries or the bonus ones you can download. If the light is pretty simple, I will model it myself using Chief.  If it is more complicated, I will look to see if there are any available online that I can import.

Thinking about going to Vectorworks.

Why?  I certainly wouldn't switch to vectorworks just to design my own lights.