Is There a Way To 'Stack' Tool Palettes?

HumbleChief

I'm not sure what it's called when you select a tool, like doors, and it displays a tool palette on the left with hinged, doorway etc. rather than a child drop down menu but I was wondering if there's a way to stack various tool palettes in that area? I've attached a terrible pic of the idea. Or are there other options?

TOOL PALLETTE 1.png

• Upvote 1

Thanks Joe, here's what I've done for now. A little compact tool bar that has the 3 cabinet, one window, and 4 door tools that I use most often. Looks like it will stay put in a template file and saves fishing through all 27 options between cab, doors and window tools and clicking over and over again between the tool types. Would still like to populate that palette area with various options and more than one tool palette type. Not sure if these little tool bars can be renamed - would be nice.

TOOL PALLETTE 2.png

I don't think they access the library and I'm not a big fan of style palettes (tried them twice never to return) and these tools are very simple in their intended use.

For example, I'm laying out an as built floor plan and as I am working through each room I need the window tool, so I go to the main menu, choose the window tool, the palette is occupied with 6 tools of which I almost only use the one 'Window' tool,, I place the windows and now it's on to doors.

Back to the main tool bar, select the door palette of which I am offered 9 choices (of which I usually only ever use 4) choose the door type and place in plan. On to the cabinet tools (12 tools this time) but I only really use 3 but wait I need to install another hinged door.

Back to the main tool bar select the door tool, select the hinged door, place that etc. Quite a few trips to the main tool bar that aren't needed with this little custom tool bar but would still like it if we could populate that palette area with our own custom list of the most often used tools.

Also have a feeling I'm very late to the idea of custom tool bars but better late than never. :D

BTW; I have requested that the Door Categories be expanded to provide for the different Door Types.

You might want to also make that request/suggestion.

Style Pallets are great for making quick changes to an existing design.  It's really easy to over-ride defaults with a new set of visual characteristics.

One Style Pallet that's great to have is one that sets everything back to "defaults'.

I also dismissed Style Pallets for quite a while - changed my mind BIG TIME

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

BTW; I have requested that the Door Categories be expanded to provide for the different Door Types.

You might want to also make that request/suggestion.

Different strokes, I would actually like less, quick access choices rather than more, and anything with fewer clicks makes me very happy.

OK Larry,

I see that we are talking about 2 different things:

• Toolbars
  • Style Pallets

Both have a place in my workflow.

I'm actually getting away from Toolbars for most cases.  I've gone almost entirely into using a Stream Deck XL to replace most of Chief's graphic access tools.  I prefer my mouse to be involved just in drawing.  I use a "Right Click" to get the "Edit Toolbar" when I really need it but even that is mostly available on my Stream Deck XL.

I have some Floating Toolbars 

• Paint Modes
  • Edit Toolbar (Right Click)
  • etc

The Stream Deck XL also provides Hotkeys for all my other Apps.  Basically I can't remember many Hotkeys and my eyes get strained trying to look for small icons with tooltips.  This setup works really well for me.

12 hours ago, glennw said:

Larry,

Why not just dock your custom toolbars to the left hand side of the screen.

674008280_ScreenShot2022-11-11at11_43_37am.thumb.jpg.4a41969714f1fda30c0c7e3f10bfafac.jpg

If you right click in a menus title bar, and then click Toobars, you can toggle any toolbar on or off on the fly, as required. 

1971917902_ScreenShot2022-11-11at11_44_10am.thumb.jpg.3081dcedf66e972344040b1c6f9739ad.jpg

I tried docking the custom tool bar to the left but couldn't get it to 'stick over there. Missing something simple, maybe the 'tool palette' layout was keeping from docking there? I'll try again. Did not know there was a right click tool/menu option as you've shown, thank for that and thanks for your help as always. 

Hey Joe, I think many people have been using custom tool bars for eons but I am late to many parties and am just discovering them. Wading through those dropdowns to find the single tool I'm looking for is extremely inefficient. Now I can find the window tool with a simple single click. Let me/us know if you learn more.

6 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

For anyone interested, I had created a free floating tool bar and they will only 'dock' when you are in customize tool bars mode

Larry,

You can dock the custom toolbars without being in customise toolbars mode if you don't have them locked.

The fact that you don't have the row of dots on the left hand side of the toolbars tells me that you have toolbars locked.

Go to Tools>Toolbars and Hotkeys>uncheck Lock Toolbars.

I find it easiest to dock the toolbars if you grab them by the line of dots rather than by the title bar.

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, glennw said:

Larry,

You can dock the custom toolbars without being in customise toolbars mode if you don't have them locked.

The fact that you don't have the row of dots on the left hand side of the toolbars tells me that you have toolbars locked.

Go to Tools>Toolbars and Hotkeys>uncheck Lock Toolbars.

I find it easiest to dock the toolbars if you grab them by the line of dots rather than by the title bar.

Just getting to this and another thanks Glenn!