Raised roof height via ceiling dbx and how to relocate ceiling framing / How to color new framing (for dummies)

John_Charles

Hello All

I am raising the roof over a single room in one part of a house and over several rooms in another part to create some street interest.

I have simply raised the ceiling height in the rooms dbx to create the effect that I want, however that places the ceiling framing at the wrong height as in the case of the corner bedroom, I'm not raising the ceiling all the way.  I have tried to create the result that I want ie ceiling at correct height by using an air cap above the ceiling but that obviously leaves the framing for the ceiling in the wrong place. 

I can't put an air gap in the roof as the roof crosses over into other rooms where it ties in.  Is there a better way to show the ceiling framing in the correct area (eg adjust the framing height?) or should I just delete the framing and do it manually?

Also, I'd like to split the wall framing into two sections to show the new framing over the top of the existing (ie extending up) as the framing produced now just shows new taller walls..... Can anyone show me the way to do this?

Secondly, I saw in one of the framing videos the use of turning the new framing into another color and I want to use it as it simply illustrates the new work I want to show.  I'm stumped as to how to change the color of the wood like they have in the vids.... can anyone show me please?

Thank you

ELEVATION.jpg

4 hours ago, John_Charles said:

I can't put an air gap in the roof as the roof crosses over into other rooms where it ties in.  Is there a better way to show the ceiling framing in the correct area (eg adjust the framing height?) or should I just delete the framing and do it manually?

Hard to say for sure with out the plan file but perhaps a manual ceiling plane would be the answer for a difficult situation like that.

4 hours ago, John_Charles said:

Also, I'd like to split the wall framing into two sections to show the new framing over the top of the existing (ie extending up) as the framing produced now just shows new taller walls..... Can anyone show me the way to do this?

Perhaps an open below room on an upper level so that you have independent control of the walls and the material that they use.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_Charles said:

Pony Walls?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, John_Charles said:

This can get part way there. You will still need to edit- I started the edit on the left exterior wall- move one plate, copy that and move down to have double, then trim studs. Some walls are a bit trickier than others but better than all from scratch.

Framed main floor and ceilings, then with no auto framing on..added a blank second floor, placed open below rooms, made floor structure 0, then moved the room down by 5-1/2".

Compare structure tab of upper rooms to lower floor.

image.thumb.png.137c21866fe95e542e60aa38049e1fa4.png

Higher roof.zip

• Upvote 1

You need to create a new material for each color and assign the desired Material Color on the Pattern panel.

This will only affect vector views.

371165935_ScreenShot2022-11-09at10_54_55am.thumb.jpg.e9199ffee3fa92540b134f0cad143f08.jpg

Or, if you want the colors in a render view (in lieu of a texture), delete the Texture Source on the Texture panel.

877014484_ScreenShot2022-11-09at11_07_09am.thumb.jpg.4454b15080420404a131078656e9217a.jpg