Help With A Work-Around Siding

johnny

I'd love to show siding and shingle edges for weaved corner conditions on homes.  To that end, I was watching a video on doing this in Archicad - which later gave me an idea as to doing this in CA.  The problem with this work-around is I can't seem to figure out a way to get the windows/doors to come thru the molding profile.

Below you will see I created a custom profile to display a lap siding condition - eliminated the siding layer from my exterior wall, and set an exterior molding ploy to emulate the siding.

modling.jpg

It produces, without needing a shadow texture (using just sun) this effect:

molding_siding.jpg

In vector:

window_prob.jpg

and elevation:

elevation22.jpg

Would love to have suggestions on how to get around the window/door issue - and I am very exciting about using this on my homes from now on.

Thanks!

Johnny,

Very easy to do this, but the breaks are full height.

You may need a least 3 molding polylines at different heights - depending on the head and sill heights of various doors.

Or, you could fill in above and below the window with lintels, sills or treatments to match your siding profile - it may work.

Or...make all your openings full height.

In the second picture, I added some Treatments...Exterior Millwork and just grabbed some shutters from the library - you would obviously use your cladding profile. 

It may be hard to get the planks lined up though.

Anyway...some food for thought.

post-106-0-88567200-1422585762_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-58638400-1422586295_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Glenn - very helpul.  Yeah, on some projects I may need varying height versions then.  I was also going to play around with the "repeat/duplicate" options in the molding dbx to see if I could use 1 string of siding and custom size...perhaps I could customize this on the fly - but It wouldnt be hard to have different siding moldings I suppose.

Johnny,

Just thinking on this one a bit more.

Getting the molding polyline to cut at the doors and windows is the easy part,

But to fill in those gaps top and bottom, you can select that part of the polyline that crosses a window or door with Edit Object Parts toggled on. 

You could then assign as many moldings (your cut down siding molding) as you want with appropriate vertical offsets to fill in above and below the windows. 

Could be a bit of mucking around if you have a lot of different sill and head heights.

Johnny,

But to fill in those gaps top and bottom, you can select that part of the polyline that crosses a window or door with Edit Object Parts toggled on. 

You could then assign as many moldings (your cut down siding molding) as you want with appropriate vertical offsets to fill in above and below the windows. 

Could be a bit of mucking around if you have a lot of different sill and head heights.

Yeah, good point - if I just "pre-made" different sizes for different wall heights at some point I would probably have most sizes covered....and then it would be much more simple.

Is there a way to convert this type of object into a "type" which would allow the "window" pass-thru?

Johnny,

Glenn - your suggestion on the line break gave me a perfect idea and solution.  Instead of having full wall height profiles like the other part of the house, I can have a single lap siding profile/section and then just add more (single siding) moldings (but same lap design) at customized elevations/intervals.  This way I can also hit above the window/door through spacing of the single lap siding profile at the right elevation points.  Works like a charm.

I will do a video on this, since doing this is amazingly easy.  In fact, Chief is better at this by far than Archicad or Vectorworks.....  this is beyond cool, and i've experimented with brick edge details and rock edge details combined with texture maps for the face....and the results are awesome.

Thank you very much.