Board & Batt Siding Using 3E Moldings

Joe_Carrick

The attached pics show a way to get Board and Batt Siding (real 3D) as well as Pony Wall Caps.

I created 2 Exterior Room Molding PolyLines.

1. One at +1" Elevation - assigned a Sill Molding at +28" with a Brick Material.

2. One at +36" Elevation - assigned a 3D Molding (Board and Batt Molding Symbol) and a 3/4"x3" Molding as Bottom Trim at 29".

3. Added Corner Boards to match the Batts.

This is by far the fasted method that I've been able to come up with for a good representation of these elements.

post-47-0-43610500-1402686059_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-13055600-1402686338_thumb.jpg

Nice Joe , we were try to figure this out about 2 months ago on the Symbols forum ,what Board and Batten symbol did you apply ? cos at least in X5 there isn't one ? I only have the one I came up with in the Symbols thread. Perhaps from one of the Manufacturer's Lib.s ? I have since Read that CertainTeed has one in there siding lib. but it isn't real 3d either.

thanks.

Nice Joe , we were try to figure this out about 2 months ago on the Symbols forum ,what Board and Batten symbol did you apply ? cos at least in X5 there isn't one ? I only have the one I came up with in the Symbols thread. Perhaps from one of the Manufacturer's Lib.s ? I have since Read that CertainTeed has one in there siding lib. but it isn't real 3d either.

thanks.

Try the attached 3D Molding.  I had to create it myself - Chief doesn't supply it.

post-47-0-22857600-1402698815_thumb.png

Board and Batt.zip

Thanks Joe ....but could you check the file , it imported fine into X5 ,but on clicking on the file in the Library, it showed blank ? nothing in either preview window , which was closely followed by the Nvidia Driver crashing , causing X5 to close down too.

I thought we couldn't post calibz to the forum?  is that a clue to it's issue?  thought we had to zip them 1st? or have they changed that ?

M.

Yes, I probably need to zip it.  But this is an X6 library.  I don't have X5 installed on my home computer so it would be Monday before I could provide it in X5.  The symbol isn't that hard to create.  It's just 3 boxes - 3/4" thick (2) 1" wide, and (1) 12" wide.  all three are 96" tall but the height is really irrelevant since that can be set in the Molding Tab of the Room Polyline.

IAE, I zipped the calibz.  You can try it again - but I don't think it will import to X5.

Ok Thanks  , thought you must be at Office with X5 when the 1st one imported.....this X6 one imports fine too surprisingly , there is just nothing to see in the Library, usually I get the version error if the file is X6 only,   but with you instructions I can give it a go , so thanks again.

Mick.

hi Joe , thanks for the instructions, got it figured out after some time with the manual ( 1st 3D symbol ) , though it looks like I missed a setting somewhere as mine doesn't cut around the windows and doors like yours, any ideas?

thanks ,

M.

post-315-0-39645700-1402803617_thumb.jpg

hi Joe , thanks for the instructions, got it figured out after some time with the manual ( 1st 3D symbol ) , though it looks like I missed a setting somewhere as mine doesn't cut around the windows and doors like yours, any ideas?

thanks ,

M.

attachicon.gifB&B 3d molding_1.jpg

To cut at Doors only, set the PLine Elevation at 1"

To cut at both Doors and Windows set the PLine Elevation at 48"

To cut neither set the Pline Elevation above the Doors and Windows.

Hi Joe , hadn't noticed there is no batten above the Doors and Windows , till Gene Mentioned it  :)  nice solution too maybe paint nd a normal symbol 1x3 hung on wall if needed too?

I probably wasnt clear when I asked about how to get the Windows and Doors to show , I was not trying to emulate your House with the Brick sill etc , which is what I think the heights you gave are referring too , the house I was working on is standard height with stem wall , so the siding drops down 14 inches or so to cover the Rim joist and continues upto the Soffit/Eave, are you having to cut the B&B back at all windows and doors so the show in Elevation view ? or some other technique afterwards?

I played some more today , so have attached a X5 Plan , if you get a chance a t work to look at it sometime and repost as X5 so I can edit/look at your comments etc that would be great. Thx. no rush at all.

Thanks again,

M.

Cedar B&B Plan2.plan

Mick,

If you set the elevation of the Molding Polyline so that it passes thru the windows and doors (normally about 48") then the moldings will be interrupted at those locations.  The Molding itself can be offeset vertically (-14"-48" ... -62") so that it starts 14" below the floor.  Then make the Molding Height 14" taller than the wall so it extends to the top of the wall.

For the area's below the windows use short Molding PLines with a Molding that extends just to sill.

For the area's above the windows and doors use short Molding PLines with a Molding that extends from the header to the top of the wall.

You can easily make a single Molding Pline with the Molding and just copy it to each location where needed (use one for under windows and one for doors).

I did try setting the PLine to 48" as you suggested earlier but all it did was move the Pline up to 48" and did not cut around the windows or doors it still continued across them , but it maybe in the way I made or assigned the 3d molding to the wall ?, this was a 1st go at this kind of thing in Chief ,so I'm probably missing something you do without thinking about.

M.

Thanks Joe that last hint got me there , I was using the wrong kind of Pline and then converting to assign the moulding instead of using the "Blank" molding Pline when it was offered ,setting the height and then assigning the moulding in the Molding Tab.

Mick.

Mick,

You might also experiment with the Board and Batt Panels that I posted in the Symbols Forum. They work pretty well for the areas above and below openings. They can be stretch within a few inches horizontally and as much as you want vertically.