Some generation questions...

PMMully

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Put a short video up.... a couple of questions for the experts... to see if am missing anything.... two things in the details in the video. As always, thanks in advance...

1. Roof Bugger: I seem to get some odd roof generation from time to time, wondering if I am missing a setting. I forgot to show it in the video, but the roof generation issue extends to the wall. I have gotten around this before by modifying the roof plane to have a small return on the soffit/facia (wrap the wall a bit).
  2. Closing cantilever floors up: I could not find a setting to auto-build a soffit on a cantilevered floor above to close in the bottom of the floor joists.

MultistoryWallGames.plan

2 hours ago, PMMully said:

Closing cantilever floors up: I could not find a setting to auto-build a soffit on a cantilevered floor above to close in the bottom of the floor joists.

That should happen automatically.

There are a lot of screwy things going on with this plan which I don't have time to play with at the moment.

This is OOB (except for the red material).

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 5.04.50 pm.jpg

• Like 1

• Solution

I noticed that the custom made wall you used above the foundation or basement is designed by default to not smoothly line up it outer layers. The software is programmed to natively line up the "Main Layers", floor to floor. That IS what the software is set to do and that is what it does. Your main layers do line up except for the manual cantilever, leaving only the outer layers that by design do not line up.

I did find two walls that showed "out of alignment" indicators when selected. Good general advice is to check everything twice so that nothing is missed.

The cantilever issue is not part of how Chief is programmed to natively work, so your workaround as a workable solution.

A large part of learning and knowing Chief are knowing its limitations and what it easily does and does not do. Chief will never be "perfect" for all possible users and applications but it is also quite versatile in the hands of a veteran user.

DJP  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I noticed that the custom made wall you used above the foundation or basement is designed by default to not smoothly line up it outer layers. The software is programmed to natively line up the "Main Layers", floor to floor. That IS what the software is set to do and that is what it does. Your main layers do line up except for the manual cantilever, leaving only the outer layers that by design do not line up.

I did find two walls that showed "out of alignment" indicators when selected. Good general advice is to check everything twice so that nothing is missed.

The cantilever issue is not part of how Chief is programmed to natively work, so your workaround as a workable solution.

A large part of learning and knowing Chief are knowing its limitations and what it easily does and does not do. Chief will never be "perfect" for all possible users and applications but it is also quite versatile in the hands of a veteran user.

DJP  

Thank you @DavidJPotterand @glennw

Glen, I was able to reproduce your output on a clean plan. And you are right, a lot of screwy things. I think to David's point, I think I pushed CA too far and got it into a goofy state. I could not actually clear the old framing.

David, "A large part of learning and knowing Chief are knowing its limitations and what it easily does and does not do"... is exactly why I create these crazy test plans :-). So I took your advice and started from scratch following the guidelines from floor to floor alignment and not playing any games:

1) Created a new plan from one of my other custom wall types.

2) Created a second floor, changed the wall type to the CA continuous siding, and made the cantilever portion Lipstick. The only issue I see is some bleed through on the framing, which I do not see in Glen's, or my other test plan that mimics Glen's. But again to your point, the cantilever aspect is probably meant for interior cantilevers.

3) Put a break on the one wall, pulled it in for the recessed corner, checked for alignment issues

....Automagically, all is well.  I am also thinking building a plan that is as small as this in footprint may stress the math under the covers a bit for generation. In practice nobody would build something like this :-).

MultistoryWallGamesTakeTwo.plan

• Upvote 1