Creating walkthrough

stager386

I have 2 questions about creating a walkthrough even after watching the videos.

I can't seem to add on to my walkthrough path.  When I start, I am able to catch the keyframe that I just did, and add on. Once I make the path, however, I am unable to go back to it and extend it.   My other question is taking the walkthrough upstairs.  I can't make that work correctly. Do I have to create a second one?

Anyone want to chime in? Thank you so much!

Kate 

Hi Kate, 

Unfortunately they fixed the software so that  the walkthrough path would correctly follow stairs but deleted the instructional video that showed how to do it. :wacko:  However I believe it still works.  You need to snap into the beginning of the stairs and the end of the stars and then set the camera at the top of the stairs to be on level 2 then it should give you a broken path line with an arrow and continue on upstairs.

Select the path and you should be able to move the leading camera and then add in intermediate keyframes for camera adjustments and line breaks for path control.

Edited by Chopsaw
Sorry could not get it to auto connect on first try... Thanks guys.

To go upstairs just drag the end of the walkthrough path up the stairs.

Stop anywhere along the stairs.

Chief will automatically continue the path up the stairs and continue it on the upper floor.

When you go up to the upper floor, the path should automatically be there, select it and start editing it.

2 hours ago, stager386 said:

Anyone want to chime in? Thank you so much!

Make sure you use the walkthrough tool. Drag the line onto the beginning of the stairs and it will automatically create and extend the walkthrough path on the floor above.

image.thumb.png.ffb12b28e6b5ced9b594a5f472985675.png

23 hours ago, glennw said:

To go upstairs just drag the end of the walkthrough path up the stairs.

Stop anywhere along the stairs.

Chief will automatically continue the path up the stairs and continue it on the upper floor.

When you go up to the upper floor, the path should automatically be there, select it and start editing it.

When I get upstairs the camera is there but there is nothing to grab onto, to edit.  And like I mentioned earlier, there is no way to extend the path I've already created.  Also, when I make a path straight, then toggle advanced controls to do something else. my path reverts to a curved spline.  What am I doing wrong?

22 minutes ago, stager386 said:

When I get upstairs the camera is there but there is nothing to grab onto, to edit.  And like I mentioned earlier, there is no way to extend the path I've already created.  Also, when I make a path straight, then toggle advanced controls to do something else. my path reverts to a curved spline.  What am I doing wrong?

You can select the camera and drag it to extend it. Once it is selected and extended, you can press '3' to create a break in the line.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 6:46 PM, solver said:

Thank you.  It isn't working for me like this.  I am not able to add on to the walkthrough path after I have placed a couple cameras. And it won't go up the stairs for me.

On 7/9/2022 at 5:50 PM, stager386 said:

I am not able to add on to the walkthrough path after I have placed a couple cameras. And it won't go up the stairs for me.

You extend the path by moving the lead camera.  Then add extra cameras in between as required if you need them for adjustments.  Sometimes the stairs need to be reset with Ctrl + x then Ctrl + Alt + v or perhaps they don't quite make the connection to the upper floor.  I usually use the "best fit" first then make adjustment if necessary.

If that does not make sense then definitely post the file for a quick fix.by the "Solver". 

17 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You extend the path by moving the lead camera.  Then add extra cameras in between as required if you need them for adjustments.  Sometimes the stairs need to be reset with Ctrl + x then Ctrl + Alt + v or perhaps they don't quite make the connection to the upper floor.  I usually use the "best fit" first then make adjustment if necessary.

If that does not make sense then definitely post the file for a quick fix.by the "Solver". 

Thank you.  I understand the process, it's just that it doesn't always let me extend the path because it won't grab onto the leading camera. It starts a new path. And getting the walkthrough to look smooth and professional is very tough.  And rendering it takes forever.  But just creating the path is frustrating.