Brick Ledges & Foundation Dims

winterdd

I hate brick homes, they do this every time. If the floor plan is saying 104' and the foundation says 104'-4" that's fine if you tell them "edge of brick ledge". But what dictates that extra 4". Brick ledges are 3" correct? What is that 2 1/4" dim below in the pic. I do not want to screw up the very first thing that is done on a home.

image.thumb.png.ad4b547470f7d5281bd46a4559043c7a.pngimage.thumb.png.69504a753f1fb58db50ef37c03120e26.png

2 1/4" is the vertical height of the automatic brick ledge that will be created when using that wall type with that setting.

For a typical modular brick set on a brick ledge, I would offset the foundation to the exterior of the framing layer above by exactly 4" (horizontal).

This would require a 10" foundation for a 2x6 wall above.

The height of the brick ledge may be dictated by the clearance of the brick above grade, or perhaps by the building code. In my region, there are limits to reducing the thickness at the top of a foundation.

31 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Would it be considered correct the way it is shown?

It's probably close enough...tough to tell without a detailed section view. It depends on a few things, like the size of the brick, size of air gap, layers of the wall above, regional construction practices, etc.

Don't forget to quote or 'tag' someone to notify them for a response! @ChiefUserBigRob

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It's probably close enough...tough to tell without a detailed section view. It depends on a few things, like the size of the brick, size of air gap, layers of the wall above, regional construction practices, etc.

Don't forget to quote or 'tag' someone to notify them for a response! @ChiefUserBigRob

Agreed, I was lazy this time haha. I guess when I think about it, take a 3" brick and add 1" air gap that gives you the 4". I'm just one of those guys who has to ask questions to answer my own questions. Sometimes, I would like to program my brain accurately.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:28 PM, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Would it be considered correct the way it is shown?

Around here most architects/draftsmen simply add a note that says, “all exterior face measurements are taken from the outside face of the foundation wall” regardless of floor. Don’t show the brick ledge sticking past.
Have your brick veneer finish flush with the exterior face of the foundation wall.

This way it’s only your brick layer who worries about hanging his brick over that 3/4” or so. Bricklayers don’t care about our pretty 3D images. 

Carpenters will place their exterior wall framing according to where you indicate on the plan or in a detail (preferably).

That leaves you to define your exterior wall so that the framing falls where it’s supposed with respect to the outside face of your foundation.

(my opinion, of course)