X14 and new PC build update and reat time ray tracing review.

VisualDandD

1 hour ago, jasonn1234 said:

..well I think it is ... doesnt the little check box on the right mean it is?

image.thumb.png.0b3784920bf5b40df38fd7a51090ff09.png

image.thumb.png.6ec50cbd4e2754885775a3b547df3877.png

Like Rene I wondered if that was STD, PBR or PBR - RTRT too , those look like the right settings but I am not sure that is the camera used in the Image above?

M.

well I turned off ray tracing and then turned it back on and now the samples are increasing on the dental camera (which I create a new one today)

image.thumb.png.a9ef3046a280c6e25003b014d7e80102.png

but now I notice the outside wall baseboard looks like a bad paint job, some light problems or something

21 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

well interestingly, the status bar where the samples normally count just said "rendering finished", where the samples keep increasing for the lobby camera, but I cant tell the difference in settings

image.thumb.png.91b23c4eb1f0854c33e674ca890afb7a.png

Sounds like one camera has the samples CAPPED and the other is not , new cameras will have this off by default unless changed in the defaults.

image.thumb.png.ab0c71da15c30f2c30df56af081519d1.png

Okay folks, this has been a really interesting thread and I'm grateful for the discussion my question spun off.

However, the "solution" to my "problem" is that I wasn't using the product correctly: I didn't understand that the PBR-RTRT setting means you move your camera around and then just sit there and the rendering continues in the background.

I was moving my camera around, waiting a few seconds, and concluding that it looked a bit junky. By accident I walked away from my computer for a moment and came back and it was rendered in a way similar to CPU-based RT and looked pretty good (although annoyingly different, but that's what you'd expect from two different RT engines). 

I then noticed the (tiny) counter in the tray display that described how many passes there had been (I was getting 5/sec for a pretty complicated plan if that's any good I don't know). Maybe CA might want to highlight that innocent little counter down there a little more in the UI to let people new to this feature know there's something going on :-).

Steve

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 9:17 PM, SteveT said:

I then noticed the (tiny) counter in the tray display that described how many passes there had been (I was getting 5/sec for a pretty complicated plan if that's any good I don't know). Maybe CA might want to highlight that innocent little counter down there a little more in the UI to let people new to this feature know there's something going on :-)

You need to use File/Export/Image to properly use RTRT. This will render and export a final image with a denoiser at the sample rate that you specify

• Like 1