<Beginner question> Dimension not matching

Longroadahead

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

I recently started learning chief architect and I notice the auto dimension tool and the dimension I edit is different. Take the attached image for example, there is a wall that is 147.5" in length. The left of the door way, dry wall to opening is 14", the door way is 36" and the right of door way is 97.5". I have two issues in this scenario.

1) I couldn't get the door way to 36". I set the width of the door to 30", casing set to 3" , it generates 36.5" on dimensions, not sure where the extra 1/2" is coming from

2) The left of the door way is 14, when I clicked on the door way for the edit option, it shows 14" on the left of door way, 36.5 for the door way and 98 on the right. This exceed the 147.5" total by a inch. The auto dimension reflect the total length correctly but the left is showing 13.5. 

I feel both can be resolve if I adjust the setting somewhere but I honestly don't know where and how to. Many thanks in advance. 

example.PNG

Edited by Longroadahead

The doorway most likely has a 1/4" reveal set for the casing on each side and your 14" dimension is not snapped to the wall surface.  Not sure about the 98" dimension but it may resolve itself once the 14" is corrected and then the doorway snaps are checked.

Hopefully you have not set your dimension accuracy to 1/2" as that can sometimes get you into trouble but not sure that is the problem here.

If that is not it you are welcome to post the plan file and one of the experts can take a look.

Welcome to ChiefTalk.

• Like 1

your 14" dimension does not line up to the 13-1/2" dimension. My guess is one of your dimensions is going to drywall, the other to stud. Turning on the wall layers in your active layer display options as MPDesign indicates, should show what is going on

image.png.b540d6f7f7bc7a49f34429c7e5b811d6.png

• Like 1

Thank you all for helping. I have turned on the wall layer, adjusted the reveal and wall length to 147.5 as intended. 

As a follow up question, the 36" door dimension consist of both casing and the 14" would be from interior drywall to the left casing. Is there a way to set the 14" from the left of drywall to the door opening instead of the casing? For clearity, I have added a screenshot with the intended behavior in black handwriting. Thanks.

example2.PNG

• Solution
46 minutes ago, Longroadahead said:

As a follow up question, the 36" door dimension consist of both casing and the 14" would be from interior drywall to the left casing. Is there a way to set the 14" from the left of drywall to the door opening instead of the casing?

Yes. Set your dimension default to "Sides" rather than "Casing" for Openings.

• Like 1