Help with linking layout to plans dynamically

Gravitie2002

Hello,

Does anyone know how to link my plans to layout dynamically when i do a revision. So, when i do the first layout for the first plan, its ok, things work fine, but when i do a revision  eg, rev 1 and i save both the plans and layout as revision 1. the elevations in the layout does not change to reflect the changes in revision 1, I have to go in and physically relink each elevation to repoint to the new elevation, this is daunting especially when you have 30 or 40 elevations. My question is; is there a way to point that new layout sheet to automatically update all those elevations to the new plan dynamically? or am i going about setting up the revisions incorrectly?  

5 minutes ago, Gravitie2002 said:

Hello,

Does anyone know how to link my plans to layout dynamically when i do a revision. So, when i do the first layout for the first plan, its ok, things work fine, but when i do a revision  eg, rev 1 and i save both the plans and layout as revision 1. the elevations in the layout does not change to reflect the changes in revision 1, I have to go in and physically relink each elevation to repoint to the new elevation, this is daunting especially when you have 30 or 40 elevations. My question is; is there a way to point that new layout sheet to automatically update all those elevations to the new plan dynamically? or am i going about setting up the revisions incorrectly?  

Welcome to the forums.

You can change the referenced files directly using tools>Layout>Referenced files.  That being said a good file system/organization will take this step out of the equation.  There are several power users who can offer training on how to setup a good file organization system.

image.thumb.png.4883c20f71e907384b0b8a26226fb032.png

We really appreciate it if you can fill out your signature in your profile with basic information such as what software and version you are using as well as some basic computer specs so that the answers can be correct for your needs.

Hope this all helps!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gravitie2002 said:

My question is; is there a way to point that new layout sheet to automatically update all those elevations to the new plan dynamically?

what I've gone to is once I sent the plans to the customer, before I come back and open up the plans to do another revision, I create copy of the plan in the directory using windows explorer. Then you never need to do the above. One half dozen or the other

I personally think one of the most efficient methods is to simply maintain a statically named Main plan.  Only rename a version when you are dropping it and only relink a plan to layout when it becomes absolutely necessary.  See below for a little more info.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25572-save-as-plan-with-layout/?do=findComment&comment=205297

• Upvote 1