Roof and Deck Floor Above?

HumbleChief

Poly-line solids. 

(1) for the deck surface

(1) for the deck thickness

(1) for the solid rail walls. 

One thing I noted Larry... the real world deck is higher than the first floor roof (as compared to your model). 

When I first explored the balcony (based on the size in your plan), it's wider, and therefore it won't appear similar to the as-built photo... So for the sake of making it appear like the reference image, the lower hip roof was dropped, and the roof deck was made narrower.  

Anyway, those ingredients in the attached plan will get the job done. The ability to use boolean tools with solids is incredibly helpful. You can shape-shift them however necessary to match that condition precisely. 

Snip20220402_104.png

Untitled 3.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

460680887_roofdeeck1.plan

• Upvote 1

Hi Larry,

I just thought of another option, it maybe more work than Val's method.

1. Convert the roof plane to a symbol, place and adjust elevation.

2. Pull the wall tops down,

3. Turn off the ceiling in the room.

4. Make 2 poly solids for the 2 triangle pieces under the balcony walls.

Inkedroofdeck-4-cam1.jpg

roofdeck-4.plan

• Upvote 1

Hi Larry , it is do-able without any P.Solids etc  but I don't believe your "Test Plan" Defaults are setup per the Real house ( in Pic )

ie the Ceiling heights, Wall Types etc which makes all the difference in this case , as you are right there is a BUG - ( report it)  with the Roof plane removing the Balcony Floor automatically IF it is too close underneath( I didn't workout what the vertical limit is ) but with some guesses at ceiling heights etc and a bit  of playing it all seems to work out.....

Plan File :  MHD_roof_deck.plan

image.thumb.png.1dffad13d9ed27d4a2bfb8e3f599de65.pngimage.thumb.png.5d43abfccbba956451bd48c5682c175b.png 

image.thumb.png.3ac83f47114e1fd3336c859e3124b949.pngimage.thumb.png.adbb0cd16dc1cea79519b619d8a225cd.png

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

NICE Mick. Will take some time to play....

Happy to help , I figured it was mostly Settings and perhaps a smidgen of CA experience ( learnt the Hard way ) was all it needed, the only thing that maybe not obvious would be the pulling up of the (drop) wall ( where ceiling is lower) in elevation at the extension / bump out Room and setting the "lower wall if butting Roof" in the same wall.

I would normally put a ceiling plane  (or P.Solid) in the lowered ceiling area as normally CA wont fill the hole on the bottom of that wall that was pulled up manually.

M.