How do I get the walls lowered to match the height of my shelf ceiling?

bdillard1

Go to solution Solved by CharlesVolz,

Hello,

I tried my first shelf ceiling for a closet in my basement but thought it would make the walls match my ceiling but instead my ceiling is much lower - dropped in on the walls.   I'll try finding more videos but if someone spots something obvious, please let me know.   I'd like the walls to be about 88" high and the ceiling to be about 88" high.   I put the painting there so I can quickly spot if I messed up - which I have :)   I do not have a ceiling overhead - there is a subfloor for the next floor over the closet.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AonCBRorVv74rBG4y7WfqeZs_1nO?e=SEchoG 

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Check to make sure these settings are correct:

Are the walls set to ballon frame instead of be automatic? (Wall DBX>Structure Panel)  They should be set to automatic.

Are the walls NOT set to default wall top and bottom heights? (Wall DBX>Structure Panel) They should be selected to default.

• Like 1

If I open a new plan and draw in a small 'closet' and define as shelf ceiling it works as expected by dropping both the ceiling and the walls. In this plan, not so much. The closet that is drawn is actually an island room as the wall against the foundation wall does not connect but not sure what effect if any that might have. Also in the build wall dbx automatic balloon framing is turned on but doesn't change when turned off. Time to wait for the smart guys again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Check to make sure these settings are correct:

Are the walls set to ballon frame instead of be automatic? (Wall DBX>Structure Panel)  They should be set to automatic.

Are the walls NOT set to default wall top and bottom heights? (Wall DBX>Structure Panel) They should be selected to default.

I'm not sure if this helps you.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

If I open a new plan and draw in a small 'closet' and define as shelf ceiling it works as expected by dropping both the ceiling and the walls. In this plan, not so much. The closet that is drawn is actually an island room as the wall against the foundation wall does not connect but not sure what effect if any that might have. Also in the build wall dbx automatic balloon framing is turned on but doesn't change when turned off. Time to wait for the smart guys again.

Thanks - you are correct - I drew a new closet (just 4 interrior walls in a square -- just default interior walls - no soundproofing) and it seems to have the same issue in this plan.  So my guess it has to do with how I defined the basement walls but I have no idea.

A

3 hours ago, CharlesVolz said:

Select basement and check "flat ceiling over this room":

image.thumb.png.4fdd4894b15843e7419215902296b683.png

Amazing!   Thanks everyone!  This has been very helpful.   Even when a helpful tip doesn't solve my particular question, it helps me understand more about this program!

1 hour ago, bdillard1 said:

A

Amazing!   Thanks everyone!  This has been very helpful.   Even when a helpful tip doesn't solve my particular question, it helps me understand more about this program!

That box was checked in every version of every plan and changes nothing to get you what you were looking for, but if it helps it helps.