connecting old roof to new roof

felixfl

Hi - I am planning an extension of a home. The old house has a gable roof and I am trying to connect a new gable roof perpendicular to it. Although, I can do a connection with old roof as it is, i.e., with an overlap, I am not able to remove the rafters from old roof to create a triangle path through the old roof into the new roof. i.e., I do not want the section of the old roof over which the perpendicular gable roof is attached/overlaps. please let me know if I am unclear.

hope you can tell me how CA can show the exact truss / roof framing that my builder can use.

regards

Felix

So basically you want to cut a great big gaping hole in your roof and then add additional load to the compromised structure ?

I think this is a situation where you will want to get the advice of a competent builder before you start drawing.

If you are able to provide the necessary details of the existing structure and what you hope to build on top there are people here that can give you advice.  Even an over frame is a complex process but what you are proposing is another level above that.  Not that it can't be done but it can get quite complicated very quickly depending on the exact circumstances and local building codes.

Hello All,

since you asked for a drawing, I have attached here. As you can see, the first roof slopes down and this makes it difficult to connect the two attics. (Window seems low as I was unable to reduce the height of the Atticl; the attic sits directly above the second floor and I am able to use the mid section, which is 7 ft. high).

The red line shows that I need a 7 feet entry into the new attic that I am building, which is a gable roof perpendicular to the existing one on the right. This is the reason I asked whether two roofs can be joined (without lot of overengineering) and come up with a passage from the tallest points on both roof.

many thanks

Felix1525396661_rooflayout.thumb.jpg.140797a212ab33510f5694479aabcbc1.jpg

32 minutes ago, felixfl said:

Hello All,

since you asked for a drawing, I have attached here. As you can see, the first roof slopes down and this makes it difficult to connect the two attics. (Window seems low as I was unable to reduce the height of the Atticl; the attic sits directly above the second floor and I am able to use the mid section, which is 7 ft. high).

The red line shows that I need a 7 feet entry into the new attic that I am building, which is a gable roof perpendicular to the existing one on the right. This is the reason I asked whether two roofs can be joined (without lot of overengineering) and come up with a passage from the tallest points on both roof.

many thanks

Felix1525396661_rooflayout.thumb.jpg.140797a212ab33510f5694479aabcbc1.jpg

Yeah, the details matter and in this case defining "a lot of overengineering" might be good next step. Definitely possible, and conventionally framing that new roof is the way to go but as far as getting Chief to (from the OP) "show the exact truss / roof framing that my builder can use." Not going to happen without the needed engineering unless your builder likes to wing it without engineering, permits and inspections. You can however show in Chief an approximate framing possibility that the builder and engineer can then size members etc. and then build. Just shape the roofs in a way that allows for that 7 ft. passageway and let Chief auto frame the roofs.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Yes, the video was only intended to show a technique and not any specific construction detail. Do you build in a similar manner in Canada?

Yes just like that.  So far as I can tell it is pretty much the same everywhere in North America where shingle roofs are used.

Here is an illustration of how the plank is laid flat on the roof.  Note the sheathing is removed for clarity, normally the sheathing outside of the new roof is left in place, while the sheathing under the new roof is partially removed for air circulation.

.1512317223_RoofQuestion.thumb.jpg.fe037e7f365f381ce96a4ee2ab1388ab.jpg

1 minute ago, Doug_N said:

Here is an illustration of how the plank is laid flat on the roof.  Note the sheathing is removed for clarity, normally the sheathing outside of the new roof is left in place, while the sheathing under the new roof is partially removed for air circulation.

.1512317223_RoofQuestion.thumb.jpg.fe037e7f365f381ce96a4ee2ab1388ab.jpg

Looks good Doug and I never bother to try and build that in Chief and just throw a detail at it in plan view, not worth the effort in my world. What do you think of the OP's challenge after seeing his picture above?

9 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Looks good Doug and I never bother to try and build that in Chief and just throw a detail at it in plan view, not worth the effort in my world. What do you think of the OP's challenge after seeing his picture above?

It can be done, but it is really awkward to do in CA.  Most times I just cover this off with a note pointing at the valley.

835306333_ValleyNoteforNewRoofoverOld.thumb.jpg.831485860b0aa0baf258505c82ef8c49.jpg

This note reads "Board 1 x 10 Flat on Existing Sheathing".