Balusters won't touch stair treads

DRyeHD

I've tried all dbx setting combinations I can think of, looked through the discussion topics, and on the FB user group - can't find a solution to get my balusters to go down to the stair treads.  I see a few pictures of this type of application but can't figure out how to do it.  I turned the auto-rail off and am using the railing tool.  Any help with this is appreciated.

STAIRS2.jpg

That's what I need but I can't get it with the stair arrangement I have.  I talked to Vince at CA tech support and he said this is a known issue with the Railing and Deck Tools.  He added my name to the trouble ticket.

The plan file is too big to attach but here is a picture of the stair arrangement.  I've had trouble with the wall below the middle rail disappearing and with the the rail coming through the upper platform and railing when I use the "auto" stair rail.  Those reasons are why I switched to the desk and rail tool.

StairShot1.jpg

A manual railing set to follow stairs is not able to make the balusters go to each tread.  This is a limitation of this tool.

A pony wall with a railing will not do this either but will give you a different railing design.

If you want to model balusters sitting on top of each tread, you will probably have to turn back on the stair railing or manually place each baluster, newel, and rail.  If you are having problems with the stair railing, then you should either post pictures of the problems you are having or post the plan demonstrating the problems (or if all else fails, contact tech support).  If you are having problems attaching a plan, you should either zip it to make it smaller or strip out stuff that doesn't affect the problem area to make it small enough to post.

• Like 1

Dermot,

Thanks for the insight.  Per Vince at CA, this is a know issue.  I will experiment with what works best.  This instance is only to try to get the 3D model as close to construction specs as possible - not worth a lot of time spent on it right now.

Robert,

Thanks also.  I'll still try what you've suggested.

1 hour ago, DRyeHD said:

Robert,

Thanks also.  I'll still try what you've suggested.

Dermot is correct, it won't work. You could use a ramp with the same type of railing. Just make the railing tall enough and bury the ramp inside the wall below. You'll need to manually adjust the slope to match the pitch of your stairs. Now if only a ramp could be dragged to a height in section view...

image.thumb.png.014ef70b44b6479430e07edb4771b149.png

• Like 1

Robert, I've not used ramps but your suggestion sounds like a feasible work around.  I'll try that.

Michael, I need my balusters to extend down to the stair treads.  No problem with up.  Between Dermont's input and Robert's suggestions, I have a work-around.  Thanks.