Been away for a while, but working in Chief every day. Question for those out there making a living [upgardes]

VisualDandD

4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Probably true enough but also close enough to the release of X14 for me at least to wait and see.

Well I like your optimism :) but if I remember correctly X13 was only released less than 6 months ago ( June 30? ) , and still has plenty of niggles, at least here...normally Beta would be on by now too but even that only started in Jan. this year.

Just a few more TM ray trace examples.   I tired it when it first came out, but really this is only playing with it for 2 days.   Not bad.   BUT, definitely need to upgrade hardware.  Borrowing my sons gaming 3070, it spit these out in under a minute each.

I did not spend too much time 'staging' the scene.  These are as detailed as I need for my purposes.

Not sure how chief does it, but what is nice about TM is you can set up all your 'shots' each having different settings, camera. lighting. layers showing...etc,  and then set a que for them to render all at once so you dont have to do each one individually.    The real time preview gives you more than enough info on what material and lighting adjustments are doing.    Have to say I wont miss lumion (except for on the fly bump mapping) 

Image14_001.png

Image14_000.png

Image14_002.png

Image14_003.png

Image14_004.png

@Kbird1   I am hoping your computer knowledge may help out.   So I have fallen down the ray trace and now VR rabbit hole this weekend.

I have hooked up my oculus quest to the Twinmotion.   I notice that it will export the VR with ray trace selected.  BUT the vid card is not fast enough to do the ray tracing.   I am using my sons 3070 gaming pc.    So I was looking at having a box built, and was going to spec a 3080Ti, but for $500 more, I can get the 3090.   Do you think it is worth it.  I am wondering if the 3090 will even be able to render fast enough to use the ray trace in VR.   If not, the only thing the faster card is really doing is slowing my rendering times (which can all be qued anyway and run over night).  So not really needing anything faster than 3070 to be productive.

Any thoughts?   Might have to wait for the 4000 series cars which are rumored to be 3x faster than 3090, but wont drop till end of 2022 at earliest...

Thanks for all the help by the way!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

@Kbird1   I am hoping your computer knowledge may help out.   So I have fallen down the ray trace and now VR rabbit hole this weekend.

I have hooked up my oculus quest to the Twinmotion.   I notice that it will export the VR with ray trace selected.  BUT the vid card is not fast enough to do the ray tracing.   I am using my sons 3070 gaming pc.    So I was looking at having a box built, and was going to spec a 3080Ti, but for $500 more, I can get the 3090.   Do you think it is worth it.  I am wondering if the 3090 will even be able to render fast enough to use the ray trace in VR.   If not, the only thing the faster card is really doing is slowing my rendering times (which can all be qued anyway and run over night).  So not really needing anything faster than 3070 to be productive.

Any thoughts?   Might have to wait for the 4000 series cars which are rumored to be 3x faster than 3090, but wont drop till end of 2022 at earliest...

Thanks for all the help by the way!

Twin Motion and especially VR are a bit out of my Wheelhouse , I do have TM but don't use it much these days and have never tried VR mainly due to the fact I get motion sickness :( ( sea / small planes etc) and have always worried it would be a waste of money?

The 3080 Ti is maybe 10% slower than the 3090 ....But the 3090 has double the VRAM which may help in this case???

I would suggest you call Puget Systems , they have been around for years and support mainly the high end Rendering Market these days, and should be able to answer your questions ( and provide a new system?) if their online FAQs and articles don't.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/contact.php

Mick.

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, robdyck said:

I haven't used TM in awhile, but here's a couple of images done in X13. Somehow squeezed these out in between the 40 crashes per day.

355959909_ext6.thumb.jpg.f98a3a675ab2687847aa9e6dcbfc4fd7.jpg395125093_Bath9.thumb.jpg.7d124c0cfe608534b78f62a5c0e9a808.jpg

Just catching up on some Twinmotion comments and saw your post. 30 crashes a day on X13? It's gotta be your hardware. I run it all day and it never crashes. I mean never.

2 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

Just catching up on some Twinmotion comments and saw your post. 30 crashes a day on X13? It's gotta be your hardware. I run it all day and it never crashes. I mean never.

Its a known Issue and Rob isn't the only one......

Couple of things.

One of the reasons for using Chief over other rendering engines, that I have not seen mentioned, is the ability to work directly with materials on the fly without having to go through the export process.  This is a real time saver and when working with customers it makes a big difference since people tend to lose focus rather quickly.  My customers really like working with the RTX engine,

One of my customers calls it the point cloud because of the pixelation effect.  On another meeting with a customer, I was working on an exterior scene and could not notice any pixelation until I moved inside the model.  simple model, but still very cool.  It ain't  Otane Render, but still very nice and it will only get better as time goes on.

There are times when it is worth exporting a model to an outside rendering engine.  One of those being the Clay Render feature in Octane Render where I found, by accident, that I could have most of the material assignments clay and only change a few materials for accent effect.  I am also very interested in Blenders 3.0 development as well.

As far a puters are concerned, I recently purchased two new gaming laptops.  One with the 3060 card and the other with a 3070.  The specs on the latest laptops are more comparable to desktops than I thought they would be.  I do intend to build a new desktop sometime later this year, but it is not a requirement for work, I just want it because I want it.  From my research the 3080 card outperforms the laptop version of the 3070 by 8 percent for nearly a grand more money.

The days of high-priced renderings are being left behind by offerings such as Chief's RTX.  I have learned not to argue with Chief when it comes to marketing.  One of the most frequent comments I get these days is how excited my customers are to working with the RTX renderings.