Recommendations For Alternative 3D Viewer?

Richard_Morrison

No, the viewer doesn't save in other file formats. I've been having a little success with exporting a Chief model in Collada format, and using this viewer: http://glc-player.net/index.php  Pretty straightforward, but the navigation tools aren't the most intuitive for a client.

Lumion has a free viewer too, and its the best solution i've found when sending over 3D concepts to a client.  That said, i don't often send 3d files...mostly 2D prints of a 3D model.

Here is a generic U3D file that I made up recently in Chief and then converted to a 3D PDF file. Just use fairly late version of Adobe's Reader to open and view the model and then use the mouse to fly around. I like to use either the illustration or the shaded illustration render mode for viewing the model in the reader. I also see some potential for the transparent mode as well. There are serveral apps that can convert to U3D

What I am considering is using the U3D file for structural models only, although architectural surfaces will work as well. I am trying to get a quick turn around for importing text and dimensions into Chief, and then out to the U3D format. It can be done now, it just needs to be streamlined a bit in order to be more practical.

I would actually like to use the Client Viewer for architectural viewing, but not if I would have to send out the entire file. Still looking into ways of doing that.

Edit:  BTW this appears to have a great deal of potential for 3D Wood Construction Connections such as Simpson hardware.  That is what I am currently working on.  This is actually a doable thing, it is Chief's symbol import process that needs a little work.

Chief File Converted to U3D.pdf

I would actually like to use the Client Viewer for architectural viewing, but not if I would have to send out the entire file. Still looking into ways of doing that.

Rod,

I agree, I would never send my plan files to a client. Potentially easy for them to take that to someone else, and run....

We found it best to use GOTOMEETING to show off the 3D etc

otherwise we sent PDF's

for most of our clients we worked on a retainer system so they had already paid

for the product up to that point

so sharing plan files was not an issue with them

Lew