Possible to open really old Chief Files?

BeaconHill

Hi there. I have a predicament where a large renovation project that abruptly ended in 2007 has become active again. I was using Chief 95 then and still have the files. However I no longer have older software than X12 running after refreshing my computer earlier this year.

Wondering how far back I would have to try and go, so that the software will open a Chief 95 file? I still have the USB key from then and product keys back to X3.  Not sure if I can locate install files for older software, but am looking at old backups. Any advice or thoughts as to how to open these up would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

I don't think there ever was a Chief 95.  Maybe you meant Chief 97?  

If these are actually files from Chief 97, then you should be able to read them in using the X8 Desktop Viewer and then save them which will allow you to open them in newer versions.  You can find the link to the viewer in the tech article that Chopsaw posted above.

Please be aware that plans this old are very likely to need a lot of cleanup when brought into the newer versions.  

• Upvote 1

It is the old .PL1 file system. Current version I have installed will not open them and the oldest download in my digital locker is X10(see edit below). Also, to clarify, it was Chief 9.5 that they were created in, but I left the decimal out of my folder naming so that s why I was thinking Chief 95. However, I did find my old laptop with X1 on it so I am going to try loading the files on it and re-saving to then hopefully open in X12. But I may check out the X8 client viewer first as that would be handy to have for future use.

I realize that there will probably be some of artifacts/cleanup, but this is a 348' structure (old textile mill)  from 1883 that I do not want to re-measure!

Thanks!!

Edit: Figured out that if I checked "Show Upgraded Product Keys" in my digital locker it will show me downloads for the older software. :)