cant set room height when cantilever from room above is in room

SH_Canada

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

I'm trying to add a sunroom to a two storey house. I cannot seem to set the height of the sunroom, without changing the main floor room height. It is repeatable on a test plan. Looks like it is entirely to do with the cantilever on the second floor. If here is no cantilever "inside" the sunroom, everything is fine.

Does anyone know how to get around this?

thanks

here is one with a voice over. note the problem does not occur if the second floor cantilever is outside the sunroom. (i.e. if cant is outside the sunroom, when I change the sunroom ceiling height, the main floor height does not change). Not that it matters for the actual problem, but in case someone is wondering why I am doing this,  I need the room height to be less so the roof does not hit windows on the second floor.  

• Solution

You need to create a room on the upper floor and define the cantilevered area with invisible walls.

You can then prevent any changes in the sunroom on the lower floor from changing the height of the main room.

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.50.22 am.jpg

Doesn't seem buggy to me.  All rooms in Chief have some kind of floor, even open below rooms.  And we know how a floor above can affect room heights of floors below, don't we?

A cantilevered room or part of a room with part of its cantilevered area above a room below (as different from no room below) is going to behave in an unexpected way.  We control that with the invisible walls.

sooo, it looks like it did not quite work for me. now the cantilever portion which is in the sunroom gets built lower than the rest of the cantilever. If adjust the floor for the invisible second storey room, then CA raises the roof of the sunroom. Did I miss something? I changed the color of the siding on the main level to show what is happening

image.thumb.png.80706bd8ac80dbef0e405db2babc4a3a.png

image.png

canttest.plan

I don't have time to have a detailed look at the moment, but you may need to also create a room under the cantilever in the sunroom to get more control.

This may be as well as, or instead of the room on the upper floor. 

On 10/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, jasonN said:

Does anyone know how to get around this?

You need to break the sunroom into 2 separate rooms to allow for the 2 ceiling heights within that room. No extra rooms needed on the floor above the sunroom.