Window rough openings

gregor43

Go to solution Solved by joey_martin,

I have windows, in the defaults specification dialogue they have rough openings of 1/2" set...when I create the window schedule, the rough opening is 1" larger than the window size...Am I missing something here?!?...most manufacturers call out order size 1/2" less than the rough opening...I just want my window schedule to reflect that....any help would be appreciated

3 minutes ago, gregor43 said:

I have windows, in the defaults specification dialogue they have rough openings of 1/2" set...when I create the window schedule, the rough opening is 1" larger than the window size...Am I missing something here?!?...most manufacturers call out order size 1/2" less than the rough opening...I just want my window schedule to reflect that....any help would be appreciated

Does the manufacturer not provide their own schedule with RO's listed? If so, I wouldn't place RO's in a window schedule, the supplier's spec's take precedence.

Other than that, I believe your confusion may come from the fact that Chief adds the side RO to BOTH sides!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You are correct...and yes that is the answer I am looking for in regards to CA...manufacturers vary on thier ROs (Anderson vs Jeld-Wyn)...I am fairly new at this...so I guess I just stick with the window size on the plan, and then the framers will build the ROs according to manufacturers instructions...so I shouldn't worry too much about the RO size...the only thing is a few windows are close to adjacent walls and they can't be larger than the plan call out indicates or I will start running into issues with thier ROs and other framing...they can be smaller, but then I have to change some other windows due to design aesthetics...windows down here are taking 4 to 6 to even 9 months to come in...so I want to be as accurate as possible when we order so that I have as few as possible issues when they get here and installed...I guess I was trying to plan ahead too much in calling out ROs in a schedule

Thanks for the reply

Set the additional rough opening size to "0" in each direction. Your RO will now be the window size in the schedule and your header lengths will be correct at 3" or 6" over callout size depending on how many trimmers on each side of the window.

• Like 1

My personal view and method which is part of the argument to dimension to centers of windows and doors as well is as follows:

I set my windows and doors to have the typical 1/2" both sides on windows and 1" on doors in plan but on the schedules I don't show the RO (just remove that column from the schedule) I do show header type and size, egress, tempered glass and other pertinent info for the windows to be ordered properly. 

But when they get the windows each window will have a sticker on it with the proper rough opening.  If they are framing without the windows on site which is common, the order the GC signed also confirms the correct information from the manufacturer. 

If we dimension to each side of the window it can get confusing but if we do the planning based on 1/2" each side and the actual is only 1/4" then typically it will not cause a problem but rather gives a little extra room for comfort.  If we plan for it and dimension to the center of the opening the Framers will be forced to use the EXACT size from the window order for the rough opening resulting in a higher level of accuracy.