Stem Wall Challenge...

HumbleChief

I'm sure this is simple but I've been flumoxed for the last half hour. It seems no matter what I set my defaults to the stem walls always seem to build to the same height. I closed Chief, rebooted, checked the defaults a dozen times but can't seem to get the basement to build to the defaults. Usually user error here and prepared to be embarrassed by the simple mistake, but I simply cannot see it.

EDIT: A new plan from my template behaves as expected.

THANKS

STEM WALL 1.plan

3 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Hi Larry,

This is coming from your setting for the EXISTING foundation level.  

1957837943_DefaultFloorLevelSettings.thumb.jpg.cbe1d3090a5c850b611e4313dcbf8687.jpg

540718132_FloorLevelDBX.thumb.jpg.5aa8e2f80bab20294a5f1c8f5981f7f3.jpg

Yes Doug, 100% true but I when I change it to the 36" I want it reverts back to the numbers you see. Cannot seem to change those defaults. The vid shows the phenomenon...

Also CA remembers what you have done earlier on, even if you delete the foundation

1049686096_RoomDBX.thumb.jpg.1d5c22fc23b2b2b2401decd6e80a5148.jpg

Here is what one of the basement room structure DBX looks like.  The stem was is not set to the default height.  Click on default and zap, the stem wall is 37.5"

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Doug, that's the behavior I am expecting but when I click the default check box I get this... and have no idea where that that 115 1/2" came from?

STEM WALL 1.png

STEM WALL 2.png

The default setting for the basement (foundation) level.  It may be in your template.  Set the default settings in the level DBX  after doing the foundation.  Make sure that the foundation  stem walls are set to default

• Upvote 1

Thanks Doug and realize the vids are not that easy to watch but here's what it looks like is happening. The foundation will not build to the defaults but will build to the mystery 115 1/2" as if it were the default. If, after that 115 1/2" stem wall is built I then change the defaults as you show it builds to that 36" default. Is this expected behavior? Why can't I build the foundation stem wall to the 36" default?

Might be a Template thing as like Doug said when you set the Default Stemwall height for level 0 to Default (36" from foundation defaults)

it appears to build correctly.  but let it auto build again and the 115 comes back ....

delete the foundation and use Edit Area to copy building to a clean X13 template plan perhaps,

as I am seeing other weird anomalies with plans Brought Forward too.

Instead of making the porch wall a foundation wall in the structure Tab try setting it as Create Footing/foundation instead.

image.thumb.png.eb0eb4241694ca1ae9a8cef7b9cba72f.png 

Mick.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

The default setting for the basement (foundation) level.  It may be in your template.  Set the default settings in the level DBX  AFTER doing the foundation.  Make sure that the foundation  stem walls are set to default

Yeah the "AFTER" is the secret sauce. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking a look, very helpful and much appreciated.

13 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

That was weird, there was a forum update notice that killed my response. Anyway THANKS for confirming that mysto 115 returning, super weird. Did NOT know that there was a "Create Footing/foundation" setting - brilliant!

did not see this happen but I think they finally fixed the speed Issue I mentioned in the Chatroom a few weeks back..... seems "snappier" now

hopefully not a Placebo Effect :) 

• Upvote 1

Your various room definitions from past changes keep carrying forward.  You'll need to clear out those room definitions to get the expected behavior.  Try this...

1. Switch to a Wall tool
  2. Hold down the Shift key and group select all the room defining walls on the first floor using a Marquis (if you get extra walls in there, that's fine).
  3. Cut those walls to your clipboard
  4. Save the plan and close it.  This will clear out the old room definitions from that plan.
  5. Open the plan right back up. 
  6. Paste Hold Position
  7. Build Foundation

You'll have to go back and redefine your various rooms as necessary, but this should return the foundation behavior to what you would normally expect.

In my opinion this looks like yet another example of why Chief has always discouraged the Save As Method.  It keeps carrying problems and file bloat forward from one plan to the next.  In this case you had room definitions from prior plans or from prior plan iterations causing all sorts of problems.  They would have automatically been cleared out from memory had the rooms (defining walls) been deleted from past plans, but it seems that never happened and so you were left chasing your tail because no matter what you did, those old room definitions kept taking over.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Your various room definitions from past changes keep carrying forward.  You'll need to clear out those room definitions to get the expected behavior.  Try this...

1. Switch to a Wall tool
  2. Hold down the Shift key and group select all the room defining walls on the first floor using a Marquis (if you get extra walls in there, that's fine).
  3. Cut those walls to your clipboard
  4. Save the plan and close it.  This will clear out the old room definitions from that plan.
  5. Open the plan right back up. 
  6. Paste Hold Position
  7. Build Foundation

You'll have to go back and redefine your various rooms as necessary, but this should return the foundation behavior to what you would normally expect.

In my opinion this looks like yet another example of Why Chief has always discouraged the Save As Method.  It keeps carrying problems and file bloat forward from one plan to the next.  In this case you had room definitions from prior plans or from prior plan iterations causing all sorts of problems.  They would have automatically been cleared out from memory had the rooms (defining walls) been deleted from past plans, but it seems that never happened and so you were left chasing your tail because no matter what you did, those old room definitions kept taking over.  

Thanks Michael, your tip worked great! I don't use anything like the Save As Method and none of my templates have any of the settings or defaults as they appeared in this plan nor has any plan I ever worked on had those default settings but there were many prior plan iterations, as you suggest, and that may have been the culprit. Either way thank you and if it happens again I'll know what to do.

21 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Michael, your tip worked great! I don't use anything like the Save As Method and none of my templates have any of the settings or defaults as they appeared in this plan nor has any plan I ever worked on had those default settings but there were many prior plan iterations, as you suggest, and that may have been the culprit. Either way thank you and if it happens again I'll know what to do.

Hi Larry , just curious if this was a Plan started in X12 or if your Template was built in X12 , as I am seeing some anomalies in those types of plans. ( and bad PBR)

M.

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Perhaps not.  The problems you're seeing are the type of thing pretty commonly caused by using that sort of methodology though so I thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

Nice and thank you again - sadly I'm out of likes for a single day...

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

VERY good chance it was started in X12, not sure but would think so...

thanks Larry .

Lots of changes under the hood in X13 , so I might need to follow CA's advice to rebuilt my templates off the X13 provided Templates.

Mick