Lagging plan, man.

ARBergman

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Hi All!

I have this CA plan file, attached in the zipped folder, that is lagging A LOT. 

Most commands take several seconds to resolve, especially the undo command, and it takes way longer than they do on other plan files I am working in right now. 

I kind of recall hearing problems like this are based in the "history" of the file. That so many previous versions are referenced in the file and that maybe they need to be broken? I dont know though. 

Like I said all my other plans are fine except this one, what is wrong?

Let me know if you need any other info. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I am running X13 on an MSI Apache Pro ge72vr with Intel i7 processor and NIVIDIA GTX 970M, 32 GB Ram

Paul Pikalov 8.11.21.zip

Undo takes a long time usually.

If you're not specifically trying to keep that file, my suggestion would be to start a new 'clean' file and then use the 'select multiple floors/all' and then copy and paste it over to the new file.

Otherwise make sure to check your automatic framing is turned off, that can do it. Or referenced pdf files in the plan like an old 'as built' plan you were tracing can really lag it down too.

• Like 1

Hi All, 

Thanks for taking the time to open it up and take a look. 

@rgardner Thanks, yeah I shut down every couple days at least, and I have been working in this file for a while with the lag. Today I decided it was too annoying and decided to reach out for help.

The lag happens in all of the plan views, 3d views, elevations, everything.

I had even had my laptop updated to include a solid state hard drive in addition to my mechanical hard drive because of this plan haha. If there were any hardware issues im sure the computer guys would have caught it. 

@kylejmarsh  Thanks for those suggestions, I will check out the automatic framing, but I believe it is turned off. I like your idea of copying over to a new file, I thought of that too, but was trying to avoid it if there was something else. I am fairly convinced it is a file path issue, and that there are too many referenced files going back that it keeps trying to remember, but I have no idea really. I will get back to you and let you know how it goes. 

@Kiwideziner Thanks for taking a look. That may be worth taking a look at as well. I know there are some referenced JPEGs for the site plan, but there may be a PDF in there throwing a wrench in the gears. I will take a look here and get back to you shortly. 

Thanks again so much, this has been really helpful!

AB

• Upvote 1

Hi All, 

A quick follow up here, @Kiwideziner said there were some broken references when they opened the plan. 

I went back in and checked it out and I had 3 PDF's referenced in the plan.

I remember the plan was slow if they were displayed, but it seemed to go away when they were off. 

After deleting those linked PDF references it seems to be back to normal. 

I think over time those references were still in there gumming up the file. 

Thanks again so much for taking the time to take a look and for letting me know your thoughts, it ultimately helped me get to the bottom of the issue. 

AB

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone, 

I thought I had this figured out but I am having big lag issues with this file. Almost as much as 1 minute to process simple commands. I am working on the roof mostly, but almost any command will take a very long time to process. 

I tried saving this as another file in another folder to maybe expose referenced PDF or JPEG files which I may have forgotten about, which seemed to clear up the issue initially, but when I open that test plan up, it does not say any references are missing.

I followed the troubleshooting guide, purging unused objects, turning off automatic rebuild functions, etc. and nothing seems to help. 

When I backup the entire plan, it says 40 referenced files were copied, and 1 plan. The 40 references seem to be picture files associated with materials used. If I delete them, the plan is just as slow. 

Attached is the entire plan backup, please let me know if I can provide any additional information. 

If anyone can help me figure out what is slowing this down and help me solve it, I would be very grateful. Slogging through this is just not going to work. 

Thanks!

AB

Lagging FIle.zip

• Solution

Have a look at your roof framing.

I haven't got any more time at the moment to look further.

But..if I delete your trusses and/or toggle off auto roof framing, all goes well without any slow down.

You seem to have a lot of very small trusses (look in Cad Detail Management).

This should get you looking in the correct area.

Thanks Glenn!

If I remove the roof framing it all goes back to normal!

It is curious though, I have worked on a lot of CA files, and have never had an issue like this with the roof framing. I wonder why that was bogging things down so much...

In any event I am really grateful to be able to move forward at a regular non syrup pace.  Cheers!