current layer option

KellySantaRosa

10 minutes ago, KellySantaRosa said:

Is there a way to specify a layer to which all newly drawn objects will belong?

Only for annotation objects that have Multiple Saved Defaults.  Otherwise, you would have to go through and change all your defaults a’l’carte.  You can however wait till your done drawing and use the Layer Painter or similar.

32 minutes ago, KellySantaRosa said:

Is there a way to specify a layer to which all newly drawn objects will belong?

What is the intention of this function?(What specifically are you trying to achieve?) Maybe there is a workflow improvement that would better serve your needs.

• Like 1

if I remember correctly the question arose when trying to draw an object whose default layer was not included in the active layer set

the object of course disappeared after being placed ..

or I think it was copying a callout or annotation from another sheet set rather than creating it anew, such as a revision cloud from electrical to be used on framing.

10 minutes ago, KellySantaRosa said:

if I remember correctly the question arose when trying to draw an object whose default layer was not included in the active layer set

the object of course disappeared after being placed ..

or I think it was copying a callout or annotation from another sheet set rather than creating it anew, such as a revision cloud from electrical to be used on framing.

Workflow improvement would then be as follows"
After an object is placed in plan, the object remains selected. In your Edit Toolbar, the Object Properties Tool is one way to toggle the selections Layers on, or open the Object and set Layer to appropriate in the Layers or Line Style Panel of the Objects DBX. I would then established your desired Layerset for the associated Saved Plan View such that the Layer, such as Furniture, is turned on for that SPV. Then save your Plan using the Save As Template Tool

19 minutes ago, KellySantaRosa said:

Do as Rene says above... Just want to point out the importance that if you place an object who's layer is not on, the object will still be 'selected'...but invisible.. you'll likely only see a single selection node.  You have to remember not click on anything else or it will deselect.  While selected you can do as Rene says... open the objects DBX and put it on a layer that you have ON... or Look over at your ALDO and turn on the layer it's on.