Exchanging with 2020 design SW?

PMMully

Clarifucation: Have someone who wants to work with me but also wants to share drawings between there current 2020 kitchen design package.  There whole staff uses 2020 but they recognize more complex remodels  would be better done in chief due to all the wall, electrical etc required for jobs that will be permitted.

It is apparently pretty popular in the lower end markets.  The ask to me was if I could import or export drawings between that software and  and CA. I have not found any info yet but since my original post.

Here is the link to that package if interested:

https://www.2020spaces.com/2020products/2020designlive/

• PMMully changed the title to Exchanging with 2020 design SW?
45 minutes ago, PMMully said:

would be better done in chief due to all the wall, electrical etc required for jobs that will be permitted.

That's why there has been a surge in conversions to Chief Interiors or Premier from 2020 in the last year or so..... Interiors is Cheaper than a 1yr Sub. of Design Live

Mick.

The more I learn is it will be problematic given one of the core strengths of 2020 appears to be fast quoting.  So keeping pricing for take offs may be ugly. 

DwG may be ok, but have to.trace it all or hope the conversion is solid. I think this is a non starter for me.

I'm familiar with both programs; have not used 2020 since V9 but what matters has not changed. Short answer is NO for 3D, Model, Elevations-NO.

What can be done- but takes some set up. Is IF

1. You set up Chief to have labels that match the brand of cabinets they are using (this is a bit of a challenge but quite doable from personal experience)
  2. Create a schedule in Chief
  3. Export that as spreadsheet, csv, or copy paste to a spreadsheet.
  4. They open an item list in 2020 -copy label from your export and paste in item list,
  5. adjust quantities as needed
  6. Moldings and trim will be best done manually

All that said IF the brand they use has an online ordering system, extremely common, it is likely easier and certainly better to do steps 1-3 and then input to that.

EDIT- I should have said that at that point, once you've worked out steps 1-3 (and included cabinet mods) there is no point in continuing with 2020.

IF there is not an on line ordering system then a spreadsheet template that matches the brands order form can be used. With that method individual prices are looked up in a PDF catalog. The spreadsheet can be set up to do final pricing though so the entire process is still very quick.

image.thumb.png.461caeb32f18815e3e77a8f7c6f4c088.pngimage.thumb.png.94f78a2469e8314acd9919b5cb556b14.png

Automatic lookup of pricing is more difficult and not likely worth the effort since no MFG I know of makes it available in any searchable format like CSV.

• Upvote 1