Current Cad Layer

lbuttery

I'm surprised that from the Annoset dbx or the Layerset display options dbx

that there is no way to get to the CAD defaults setup dbx

Am I missing something

yes, I can get to CAD default setup by clicking the Defaults icon on the toolbar

or the CAD defaults icon on the toolbar

I would think to be consistent there would be an edit icon (pencil)

on the annoset dbx like there is for dims, rich text, text, callouts, markers, arrows ???

If I'm not missing anything - I'll post this in suggestions

Lew

I'm also wondering why Chief has a menu choice under CAD for "current CAD layer"

and a toolbar icon for "current CAD layer"

when the "current cad layer" can be found on the "active defaults" dbx 

since the "active defaults" dbx has all the other defaults also

why have a dbx that is solely for the "current cad layer" ???

Is this a leftover feature from versions prior to the introduction of the "active defaults" feature ???

Lew

achieve an outcome via different methods and paths

Jon:

agreed

this would encompass having the same feature/tool available

via menu or icon or hotkey etc

but having two dbx's by different names doing the same thing ?

especially when the one dbx  can only do task A while the other can do a multitude of tasks

I don't understand where the benefit is in having the "current cad layer" dbx anymore

it's a leftover from versions prior to the "active defaults" dbx being introduced

now it just adds confusion

Lew

Perry:

I'm not complaining about these annoset topics

trying to understand how the pieces and parts work

and in doing so I found a few inconsistencies etc that CA may want to consider addressing

I will probably never use annosets etc

but my friend/partner is interested and I'm doing the research for him

once I understand it, I'll show him the ropes

also, once I understand annosets and the 3 dozen dbx's that are involved

in the process I'm planning to post a recorded macro example for Glenn's challenge

that he issued last week :)

last week I was prepping for an open house for my new museum

now I have a little time to kill

I'm sorry that questions about Chief irritate you

Lew

You do realize that if CA updates or changes the '3 dozen dbx's' it can make your macros useless?

Bill:

useless ??? - no

needing tweaks ???

maybe - depends on the change(s)

even so, they are easily editable via notepad

as I stated before there are a zillion VBA macros for Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc

there are a zillion Ruby macros for Sketchup

there are a zillion macros for other software

some how they manage to stay current

just bringing a plan from ver 5 into ver 6 can "break" things

never assume a migration is 100% successful

thus, I plan to also present (when time allows) how to use recordable macros

for "regression testing" to help verify if the newest release has caused changes in a plan

this is especially useful for new home builders with production lines

if they create a set of macros to build a production house

when the new release comes they run those macros and they should get the same house

if the new versions has moved or eliminated settings then the macros will issue a warning/crash

then once the macros can recreate the same house

the user can add any new features and that becomes the baseline for the next upgrade

Lew

I use Current CAD layer alot for framing plans too.  My frustration is when the layer won't stay where I put it.  This seems to happen when I have multiple windows open and switch from one to the other.  Then the Current CAD layer seems to jump around.  So I go back to my framing plan and happily draft for 10 minutes only to find that I've been drafting on the wrong layer.  When I change the current layer through the Active Defaults dbx then it seems to stay put better.  Anybody have a solution?

I don't use the current CAD Layer tool much at all.

I have been using working views in the layout for the various work environments that I need for specific settings.  That way both the layer sets and the anno sets are working together to provide the settings I need for specific tasks.

I keep the project browser open and assigned to a hot key so I can close it quickly if needed.  I keep the plan at the top and the layout at the bottom and the pages open for viewing and selecting.  I have found that it works better for me if I keep the layout tab at the far left  and keep a minimum of windows open.  Layout, Plan, Others.  I have to move them around every so often, but it keeps things a little easier to follow that way.

I also set many camera defaults to use Active Layer Set which works out fairly well using this methods.  That is so long as you do things consistently.  I am still finding new ways to use this method, and I also change things a bit from time to time, but I do like it very much in general.  Does take some time to set it up and to get used to it though.

Lew, glad to hear your project is doing well.  Cad companies are often quite reluctant to do away with even the  most useless of features for fear that someone might still be using them.  Sounds to me like it is time for you to learn about Layer Sets, Anno Sets, Layout, and the power of working views.  Hardly worth it, over and out.  ;)

Rod:

I know much about layers and layersets and a decent amount about layouts

concerning layout we had to do "permit sets" - never complete CD's

just never had a need to get into anno-sets since I retired

about the time they were introduced

I'm studying them now with "newbie" eyes :)

Lew

To clarify, I am speaking about the new features in X6 Layouts.  Anno sets are now associated with individual Layout Views.  Layer Sets were already associated with Layout Views, but now they both are as of X6.  This opens the door to some interesting pre sets IMO.  Good luck Lew, and don't hesitate to PM me if you need any help.  I don't check it all that often, but go ahead and give it a try if you would like.

I prefer preset working views, others may prefer to make settings on the fly very quickly.  It appears that is why you are recieving resistence to your take on the "Current CAD Layer" dbx issue.  IMO it is a losing game to try and remove something that others are using to advantage. 2 cents

IMO it is a losing game to try and remove something that others are using to advantage

Rod:

I agree

except in this case the "active defaults" dbx does the same thing

AND offers access to the other defaults

while the "current cad layer" dbx is limited to the one setting only

so if they are using the "active defaults" dbx then there is no need

to use "current cad layer" anymore

if they are not using "active defaults" dbx

then the question is -  why not ???

Lew