terrain overlay

DAVIDDD

I disagree with Chop on this.  Pretty easy to accomplish.  Eric suggested one easy method but you can also export an image of your plan view as PNG and assign it to a zero thickness poly-line solid or face and just place that directly above your terrain.  This would maintain the single plane affect that would be lost if you simply paint the image to your terrain.  In both instances you'll most liekly want to properly crop your image and use a Material set to Stretch To Fit.

I tried but no matter what I do I can't get the picture to follow the terrain once I add elevation regions to the terrain. The right one is a polyline solid and the left is the terrain with elevation regions. Even if I can get rid of the grey stuff the picture is broken in pieces.

CSP1.jpg

Try drawing in a flat region (Terrain/Modifier/Flat Region) and then place a slab on top of that.You can then import your plan view into your user library as a new material which you can then assign to the surface of the slab. I'm working on a very similar project right now and this method served me well.

I believe the key may be to turn off Stretch to Fit in the Material Definition. Here is a terrain with hills and a valley, and a rectangular terrain feature with an applied material that uses an aerial view as the texture. The texture is sized to the same dimensions of the terrain feature:

64118516_terrain1.thumb.JPG.13bfd1414c9fdb43c1e099d0b024acbb.JPG

As soon as you check Stretch to Fit, the wonkiness occurs:

1841199296_terrain2.thumb.JPG.d1ebc76eacc1efeb5291da59dfeb29b1.JPG

Looks like I may have misunderstood the question.  I thought you wanted to overlay your actual Chief Architect® Plan View so that you could view the plan view line-work over your terrain.  From the looks of it though what you really want is the aerial view image? If so, never-mind the poly-line solid idea with the PNG.  That won't really give you what you're after.

Thanks everyone for your input. I finally got it to do what I wanted, but after saying that....I don't like it.

If your interested, I created 2 pictures in paint, the center area on one and the outside area on the other.

Made 2 polyline solids, the outside one with a hole, and the center one.

Applied the pictures to the polylines and set them with the correct elevation on the terrain.CSP2.thumb.jpg.e279d07cb6525f04f2f6c1aa41d4c223.jpg

Again, thanks for the help.