HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY

RobUSMC

I have four designers, three in the office and one outside and we are all working with different Mfg. and user libraries and are never on the same page. One designer asks for help or input and it becomes a pain the ass.  What is everyone else doing with more that one designers to be able to collaborate on a project?  I just spoke to support about sharing libraries in the cloud like OneDrive or SharePoint and they said absolutely not. This is just to store your libraries in the cloud and not to have other users access them.  They said the only way they recommend sharing a plan between designers in the same office is the original designer that is working on the plan must backup entire plan and all referenced files and then save it to a shared folder. Then the second designer that opens the plan to check it like in my case, I am checking the plan progress with my other designers or if they need help. Once I’m done, I then must back up the entire plan and all reference files, save it again so the original designer can reopen the plan and continue.  This can go back and forth all day especially with a new designer that’s fairly new to Chief. 

I made a separate drive labeled F: all library's and files go in this drive using exactly the same directory structure. this way the plan file or layout does not know which computer it is being worked on as on all three computers . I work alone but use different computers at different times, so slightly different from you. But essentially you need each link in the layout file to be constant. As for different designers as long as they follow strict naming protocols it should be no problem.

As a CAD manager in a previous life I was responsible for offices in 3 countries and we adopted a similar system, just so we could all find the files quickly, our files had a code for office and date so we would open and save as then start working.

I hope this provokes some thoughts.