Plan Check is asking for the BTU rating of the existing AC system on a remodel/addition project.

How and where do I get this information?  I don't see it on the label of any piece of equipment.

Hi Joe,

Last time I checked they used a BTU rating for Window AC units. They may also use them for Mini split systems but I am not sure.

I believe if you search on google you can find that a one ton AC unit is rated @ 12,000 Btu per hour.

Forgive me but I don't know about permitting in California, but Who is asking for this information?

When I'm submitting for permits I sometimes use the IC3 compliance calculator https://esl.tamu.edu/terp/code-compliance-calculator/

When I have issues like this come up when i don't have enough information I consult with my HVAC contractor and HERs rater. 

You might also post your question on an HVAC forum like HVAC-Talk.com.

Hi Joe. In Monterey here. They always ask for that. 

Not sure why this is viewed as some "big government" intrusion. You want to know the miles per gallon for a car. Why not pay attention to home energy use?

7 hours ago, Alchemyjim said:

Not sure why this is viewed as some "big government" intrusion.

I didn't say that.  OTOH, I'm not sure it's something the Bldg Dept really needs.  But it is appropriate for the home owner to know that the system is adequate.