Plan & Layout Revision Management?

ACADuser

When I send a PDF file plan to the client I would normally save any future changes to a file with a new revision number.
But when I do that the Layout file is no longer linked to that plan file. I have been saving a new layout file with that same revision number.

How you you keep the files in sync?

I name as follows:

123_ELM_LBX6.plan

123_ELM_LBX6.layout

then my backups are:

123_ELM_141108_1315_LBX6.plan

123_ELM_141108_1315_LBX6.layout

I do a "save as" for the backup name first

then do a "save as" for the primary name

I use LB as my initials to distinquish from when my partner works on the plan

Lew

I use pdfs & track by the print date in the file name. Same w/ dwgs- date in the file name.

I have only one plan file & one layout file.  Sometimes I have 2-3 versions going but.......

& they both keep the same name throughout the project. So no relinking plan & layout.

If I need to go back to the chief plan from a spec'd date I see on a pdf or dwg, those files are in the archives.

We create a new folder and save copies of both the plan and layout, then append the date to the file names. Like you, we save the con docs in the same folder as PDF. This creates a bunch of "archive" subfolders, but it keeps everything nice and chronological. I suppose you could zip everything instead of using folders.

as an example for a remodel. I start off with existing_01 then _02 etc as reqd. then got to proposed_01, 02,-whatever (sometimes I may have several revisions in the same day as once I have completed a complicated bit I always do a save as) then I go to final_01. For layouts I use the same proceedure but normally have much fewer of them. Once I issue a layout set I also make a pdf copy so will have project proposed_prelim01 etc.then final_rev01 etc.