CA locks up when opening item spec dialog

RL-inc

Just had an irritating new issue- every time I select an item- cabinet- fixture- etc.... and try to open for specification, Ca locks up and I get the blue spinning circle of death.

Doesn't matter if it is a new or existing plan.

Anyone lese ever run into this?

much appreciated

Make sure Chief is using the Nvidia Card ( preferred Graphics processor ) and not the Intel iGPU 1st ,

my next guess would be there is Library Corruption , eg a BAD symbol  perhaps something from 3D Warehouse? 

But probably best to call CA TS on Monday morning....

M.

I think Mick is correct in that this sounds like a video card problem.  See if this tech article helps:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

If that doesn't work, then you might want to contact tech support during our normal business hours.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

• Upvote 1

thanks Dermot-

I called tech support today and we discussed exactly what you are referring to -

After I got off the phone I downloaded the 05-15-2020 driver update for my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 card.

Rebooted the system to be sure that CA was using it and still locks up when trying to open an object for spec of creating a render view.

I literally just tried to create a render view on a completely blank plan and got the blue spinning wheel of death.

Of course I am stupid busy right now and have no time for this :angry:

4 hours ago, RL-inc said:

thanks Dermot-

I called tech support today and we discussed exactly what you are referring to -

After I got off the phone I downloaded the 05-15-2020 driver update for my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 card.

Rebooted the system to be sure that CA was using it and still locks up when trying to open an object for spec of creating a render view.

I literally just tried to create a render view on a completely blank plan and got the blue spinning wheel of death.

Of course I am stupid busy right now and have no time for this :angry:

Did you check in the Render Tab and the Nvidia App to make sure Chief was Assigned for X12 , your CPU has a built in Intel iGPU ( UHD 630?) too and it maybe getting used instead.

446.14 ( 5-15-20) is not my favourite Nvidia Driver though I have no issues in Chief with it, but perhaps try 442.59 from March 10th instead...

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us#

Talked to tech support and no real help.

They did mention a program called Nahimic that can cause issues.

Nahimic is in the computer but i can't see how to uninstall it. 

Anyone have any experience with this?

2 hours ago, RL-inc said:

Talked to tech support and no real help.

They did mention a program called Nahimic that can cause issues.

Nahimic is in the computer but i can't see how to uninstall it. 

Anyone have any experience with this?

Nahimic is an Audio Addon , mostly used by gamers, but is not "required for Audio" but I don't have it personally , but I would try updating that software and any Windows Store associated Apps 1st.  No idea why it would effect 3D though....

https://www.nahimic.com/gamers/

Looks like I am going to uninstall X10 and reinstall-

Have not done that before - any tips so I don't lose libraries- details etc...

I am also eligible to upgrade to X12 which I suppose this is as good a time as any?

You never installed X11 ?  

Leave X10 where it is and Install X12 , it doesn't overwrite at all , it does a Side by Side install so you can have both , and see if X12 has the same Issue.

Perhaps don't let X12 "Migrate Settings" from X10 at least at 1st incase it's a setting issue...

M.

• Upvote 1

Follow up-

I did upgrade to X12 but after talking with tech support it appears  that they have had several reports of Nvidia  dual monitor systems conflcuitinh with dell Alienware.

from CA Tech-

"

We have had several calls now from people running Alienware computers with two monitors and NVidia cards.

They have all been fixed by uninstalling the Alienware Command Center software. The other software that has been mentioned is the Alienware Sound Center application.

You may want to look for and uninstall both of these applications.

Make sure all traces of Nahimic have been removed. The service should not be running on your computer."

X10 and X12 both working properly now,

thanks to all who offered help.

5 hours ago, RL-inc said:

Follow up-

I did upgrade to X12 but after talking with tech support it appears  that they have had several reports of Nvidia  dual monitor systems conflcuitinh with dell Alienware.

from CA Tech-

"

We have had several calls now from people running Alienware computers with two monitors and NVidia cards.

They have all been fixed by uninstalling the Alienware Command Center software. The other software that has been mentioned is the Alienware Sound Center application.

Make sure all traces of Nahimic have been removed. The service should not be running on your computer."

Thanks for the Report back this info may help others in the future.....

M.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cajunland said:

This my be another example of extended monitor conflict with CA X12 when laptop pc is also running Nahimic apps.

I had system lockups when opening specs to make changes.

I uninstalled Nahimic and so far no more issues.

I did read a few Days ago that Nahimic updated it's Apps earlier this week , but you may need to check your Laptop's support site as well.

If you don't need there Audio Enhancements ( mostly for Gamers ) I'd leave it un-installed though.

M.

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 8:20 AM, RL-inc said:

Follow up-

from CA Tech-

"

Hi Rob ...just a small update since I ran into this one myself this week, trying  with a new Asus Laptop to use a 2nd monitor and 3D views......

removing Sonic Radar alone solved it for me, there was no need to remove Sonic Studio or the " Nahimic Service" which is needed for Sonic Studio to work also.

Discussed in this thread..... https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21770-external-monitors-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=222784

Not sure if the Dell stuff makes a difference with your setup though....

Mick.