Polyline Solids - Why Does This Happen?

Tony_Sterba

I have had this problem ever since the beginning in Chief X6.  I put a trim accent or molding around something - and in plan view it works - but in 3D view it extends way beyond what it should.  It is not a huge deal.. I just fix it.  But is there a reason as to why?  Anyone else have this issue?

post-621-0-08488400-1414691945_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-93921000-1414691954_thumb.jpg

I've had this issue with polyline solids as "trim" from the beginning with X6. Don't know why it does or what triggers it. It doesn't do it all of the time, but when it does it is frustrating. Like you, I just "fix it." It usually stays put after that. I have never been able to determine what I did that might have been different than before; it just seems to happen.

One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't always edit properly in 3D or elevation view. And sometimes it doesn't edit properly in plan view but will in 3D or elevation. Other times it works correctly - go figure!

Mike

Thanks people.  My walls are straight and everything "appears" to be good in the drawings.  Sometimes when I fix it in 3D - the 2D is all screwed up.  eventually working back and forth I can get it to look decent.  I was hoping it was a setting issue or something to that effect.  That's ok, I just thought someone else out there could explain it.  Thanks again to those who replied.

I've had it happen.

The grab handle on a p/solid can get confused with the "stretch" handle. Just my observation,

I've adjusted solids in plan view and they look perfect. Then I take a look outside with teh 3D overview and they are shaped terribly wrong. They become sStretched too long and don't look anthying at all like my plan view. I think it's because I've grabbed the stretch handle rather than the grab handle. (Older versions only had grab handles.... that's the way I've always manipulated polyline solids.)

It still makes me crazy that we can't grra an image file and stretch it be tugging on the side of it with the grab handle. Now some wierd stuff happens and the whole ability to reproportion imported images is gone unless you pull on them by the corners only.

Back to your question and solution....For creating moldings, the safest bet is to make them with a molding polyine. Those are bullet proof in terms of maintaining their length and size in both plan view and elevations. They're also very easy to work with in making a molding turn corners around a room as well as being able to make mitred returns.