LOCKING A WALL DIMENSION

TCDLLC

Hi, I am a Revit user converting to Chief. 

When working with angled walls in Chief, I have not been able to lock a wall from moving when changing dimensions on connecting walls. 

I am familiar with how to use the directional tools to move an end of an object to adjust its dimensions.

When angled walls are off-angle, I can waste significant time adjusting the lengths of the angled walls and still not achieve the dimensions I need for all connecting walls.

The use case scenario is when I am drafting a plan using dimensions provided to me to create the build.  

Of course, if I was creating a plan from scratch, I could probably avoid this situation.  

Any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, solver said:

You can draw CAD lines to use in placing walls. Walls will snap to CAD.

This is a very good tip. Make CAD lines your friend, just like we use to do in "the old days," where we drew lite CAD lines by hand to help with the process. I keep a layer called "temp lines" just for this purpose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TCDLLC said:

Hi, I am a Revit user converting to Chief. 

A bit off topic but I don't know if this is worthy of starting a new topic.

Why are you switching from Revit?   I have a manufacturing suite because I also do industrial design, but not much of that anymore and I was thinking about switching the sweet to Revit.  Not that I an abandoning CA at all.  Just another weapon in the tool box.

16 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

This is a very good tip. Make CAD lines your friend, just like we use to do in "the old days," where we drew lite CAD lines by hand to help with the process. I keep a layer called "temp lines" just for this purpose.

In the old days we called those "construction lines" drawn in blue lines and they did not print.  

I WISH WE HAD CONSTRUCTION LINES!!!!@!!!!!  

Hit a magic hot key and they all disappear in one fell swoop.  I have requested these numerous times but to date the request has fallen on deaf ears.

AM I YELLING LOUD ENOUGH???

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dshall said:

In the old days we called those "construction lines" drawn in blue lines and they did not print.  

I WISH WE HAD CONSTRUCTION LINES!!!!@!!!!!  

Hit a magic hot key and they all disappear in one fell swoop.  I have requested these numerous times but to date the request has fallen on deaf ears.

AM I YELLING LOUD ENOUGH???

Yes... I've wished silently.  It must have been a while since you requested this because I'd definitely have backed it up.  Bump it.
Ideally they'd work just like temporary points... run infinitely in both directions from placement point, erase all with one command.

Hi Doug,

I love using Revit and there a number of features I wish we had in Chief.  

Chief has become my primary software of late.  I have found more companies in the interior design community that use Chief Architect for remodels, cabinet plans, space planning, etc.  So, I now use it more than Revit.