Post Lighting For Decks?

dneuman

Go to solution Solved by tommy1,

Chief wants all electrical on a wall. Create a wall 1/16 inch thick (call it light wall or something) and make it same material as wherever you want to put the lights. Then you can essentially put them wherever you like. I'm sure there are other ways too, but one way I've worked around the Chief Electrical Police rules.

By way of example. Can't hardly detect the 1/16" "wall" material PT in this case.

post-489-0-40024300-1413312705_thumb.jpg

• Solution

Here's another way. You can make any electrical item like a light, switch, outlet, etc. be placed on anything you want. Open Chief's library to the fixture you want. First copy that fixture to your user library. Don't place it in the plan first. It won't work. Now you can open the symbol (not open item) from the electrical item copied to your user library. You can not do this while it is in Chief's library. Once open, make it sit on the floor...not on the wall. Now you can place it in the plan and it will be free-standing and you can rotate it or whatever. In plan view, place the symbol so it looks correct in plan view and set the height. Now take an elevation. Select the item and "open symbol". Now set the origins so that it looks right in 3D. Done. I know it sounds like a lot but I did the one in my attachment in around 30 seconds. Once you understand and do it several times, it's real fast to do. I already have electrical items in my user library ready to go. My image has a light fixture on a slab column.

post-66-0-78332400-1413314007_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tommy, not at all sure I followed that, but going to try it.. Interesting way to do it. Are you saying that any fixtures placed in "user library" are free game for placement?

Yes. I've been doing it this way for years which is why I can do it pretty fast. If you do it this way, you can rotate it also in plan view. Do not put it in the plan first. If you do it exactly like I said in that order, it will work.

• Upvote 1

Yes. I've been doing it this way for years which is why I can do it pretty fast. If you do it this way, you can rotate it also in plan view. Do not put it in the plan first. If you do it exactly like I said in that order, it will work.

Interesting, Tommy says copy to user library first and then change the option to sit on floor and THEN you can put it in plan.

This is a super duper secret handshake, thanks Tommy.

Keith, if you can't get it to work, then I'll be happy to show you tomorrow online via gotomeeting or (Skype if you have it) . Many people tell me oops, I missed a part.

Thanks Tommy. I have an O dark early meeting tomorrow about 70 miles from here, so no way as I expect to be gone most of the day. Do appreciate the offer though and great idea that has always been a problem for me, concerns electrical items on not normal places.  

Hey Tommy, is this how you deal with electric outlets on islands? I have never been able to figurateded it out.

Yes it is. I also need to check and see if they ever fixed outlets under a window and if it is placed in the baseboard (12" baseboard or so) and offsetting the symbol from the wall so that it's past the baseboard. In previous versions, you couldn't do it using the offset in the symbol DBX. This has already been confirmed a bug by either Dan or Doug Park. I doubt that it has been fixed since no one complains about it but me. We have this situation in a lot of old Victorian style houses (which we do a lot). I'll try in the morning when I have the laptop out. It takes forever to do this for every outlet through out the house. A real pain like placing rosettes and plinth blocks at all doors and windows. 

Tommy, issue must have been fixed because I just had a large job where all the outlets were in the base trim and I didn't have to send the outlets to my user library to fix it. The offset in the symbol dbx worked just fine.

Yes, it does seem to work now when placed under a window.