carowe

Remote access to main computer

I just bought a new desktop and two 27” monitors in December and last week signed a contract on a job out of state that will require quite a bit of travel.  I am going to have to get a new laptop but really don’t want to spend a fortune at this point and don’t want to have to buy another license.  Most of my work will be done in my office, but on my trips out there will need to access my CA files, and perhaps work on them. What would be the minimum requirements I would need in order to access my main computer and let it do the heavy lifting on CA?  I use X11 Interiors and will primarily be working on kitchen and bathroom designs for the architect.

If you are just doing interior kitchens and bathrooms then I really don't see the necessity to have fully remote desktop access. Any half decent laptop should be capable of handling this workload level. Just put your files in the cloud using OneDrive or Dropbox so you can remotely access those and run Chief on your laptop.

The other thing to consider about Remote Access is that it is not really designed for the purpose of using your desktop from a remote location to run traditional software programs. Remote access was designed to permit IT professionals the ability to control/access remote employee laptops for security purposes and troubleshooting.

3 hours ago, carowe said:

and don’t want to have to buy another license

You won't need to , you just use the Manage License dialog in the Help Menu or in your Digital Locker to switch the license between the Laptop and your Desktop..... ( Chief permits this type of usage , just can't be used on two machines at once)

ie: you make it available and then start Chief on the other computer and agree to the new activation.

Also keep in mind some remote access softwares, such as Remote Desktop Facility (RDF) from Microsoft, have a 'local' display driver which has limitations.  RDF, for example, will not allow you to run Chief Architect, or, more precisely, CA will detect the limited display driver being used by RDF and won't allow running it.

I wonder if you could get Zoom to work for you...

My plan was to use either Go to My PC or Zoom - I've used before in the past but was on another desktop and it worked extremely well -- so my question is just whether there are specifications I should look for in a laptop and whether anyone has done this?  Just looking for some tips/things to look for in the laptop.  THx

22 minutes ago, carowe said:

My plan was to use either Go to My PC or Zoom - I've used before in the past but was on another desktop and it worked extremely well -- so my question is just whether there are specifications I should look for in a laptop and whether anyone has done this?  Just looking for some tips/things to look for in the laptop.  THx

I'm just wondering why you feel there is a need for that type of setup. Seems like a lot of extra complexity when you can just run Chief directly on the laptop. I think you are underestimating how powerful today's newer laptops are. For about $1,500.00 you could get a Dell XPS 15" , discrete graphics, 16 GB ram, 6 core(12 hyperthreaded) CPU. It's unlikely you would notice the difference between this and your current desktop, especially if you factor in upload/download bandwidth limitations using a remote set-up. Also, what happens if there is a power glitch back at the office and your main desktop shuts down, you can't remotely restart the desktop if this happens.

• Upvote 1

OP, if you still look at this thread, the second computer in my signature is my "home office" computer.  It runs x11 just fine.  File loads and saves over the cloud take some time, but work within the program is just fine.  You would be hard pressed to find a laptop less than 10 years old with specs that couldn't run circles around that machine.

Also, as I always do in these threads, I recommend Microsoft One-Drive.  It is mappable to your local machine.  You can work right off it with no additional download or sync steps.  I used it before I moved to a VPN into my office server (also a mapped drive).

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WaunakeeDesigner
    Newest Member
    WaunakeeDesigner

• By PvdPol
      Dear all,

I'm new to the forums and i've tried to find my way in the already existing topics, such as
      - https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html
      - https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21934-hardware-recommendations/?tab=comments#comment-179153

I could not find an answer yet, hopefully some of you can help me out.
      I am currently struggling with Chief Architect Premier, ray traces are really slow at 1080P (1 pass takes like 15-30 min)
      Also working for in PBR is making my system really really slow and it is getting frustrating.
      My model is not complex and I think I need an hardware upgrade.

Current machine (Notebook - April 2014)
      X•BOOK 15CL56 NVIDIA GTX770m 3GB, Full HD (+/- 20000 3DMARK) Intel® CoreTM i7-4710MQ (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz) - 47Watt (Quadcore) 16GB DDR3L (1600MHz)
        New system specifications (not bought yet)
      AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Boxed MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K16G4D30AESB  (32GB Ram) Intel 660p 1TB Solidstate drive Graphic card? Nvidia? Any Advice?  
      I think the 32 GB of memory is already an overkill, not sure if this is needed.
      But I'm mostly wondering regarding the choice of CPU and Graphics card

Is this a good setup? What kind of performance improvements can I expect? What would be your advice?

Thank you!

Regards,
      Peter

• By LCrosno
      Does anyone currently own a Razer Blade 15 or 17, or any of the higher powered MSI laptops that are marketed specifically for 3D renderings/CAD? I am looking to upgrade my ASUS, and these two options seem to be the front runners. I use Chief Premier X10, and am really looking for something that I can have smooth renderings in, do walk-throughs easily, and save a few files to my computer instead of constantly having to save to an external storage source. 

My current laptop is nearing three years old, and it has been fine, but never as good as I wanted. I am willing to spend the money now to get what I really need. 
      (Current computer: ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1 TB, 128 GB SSD)
    • By winglakedesign
      Hello everyone,  

I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro.  Mine current MacBook Pro is  2015, Intel Core i5, 2.9 GHz, 8 GB MHz, Intel Iris Graphcs 6100 1536 MB.  Whatever all that means....I get the swirling rainbow often because I run Affinity Photo and Home Designer Architectural along with a few other things being open at the same time...mail, messages, etc.   

So - time to upgrade.  I don't know which is more important to help run programs quickly - Obviously - I would like the upgrades on all - but it's already so expensive so wondering if the combination of standard and some upgrade will be okay.  I have  design business and use Chief Architecture for floor plan and furniture layouts to present to clients. 

1) 2.6GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz (standard)  vs 
      2.9GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz

2) 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 (standards)  memory vs. 
      32GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory

3) Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory (standard) vs
      Radeon Pro Vega 16 with 4GB of HBM2 memory vs 
      Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory

I was originally thinking of doing the upgrade to the i9 intel processor - only but then someone mentioned upgrading the graphics card. 

I am sticking with Mac at this time because it's what I know.  Can anyone advise please?  Thank you so much!  
    • By Toby-PKBLDR
      I need a new laptop to run Chief Premier and Sketchup Pro out of the office.
      Of these 3 offerings, I'd like to know anyone's thoughts or experiences.;
      https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/6239219.p?skuId=6239219# (can buy for $1,665 open box excellent-certified) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-m-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hybrid-drive-256gb-ssd-black/6232300.p?skuId=6232300 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-15-6-4k-ultra-hd-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-black/6139102.p?skuId=6139102 Thanks in advance for any feedback.

All the best,
      Toby
    • By Handwerk_Arts
      Okay, if you had no more than 2 grand to spend (maybe 2500) and you were in need of a new laptop, what would you pick? 
      Now, to make it a bit more interesting, imagine you don't just work in Chief. I do design in Chief and HDP. Also Video editing on Adobe, other design work on Adobe products and branching out into other software.
      I really need 4K UHD for video editing. And I really need a 17" screen, as my eyes are not as young as they once were.  Keep in mind, I will have no more desktop use, as I will be traveling. And with that in mind, maybe should go with a 15" and more powerful reading glasses. It will be difficult to get used to though, as I am used to 27" dual screens.  Not too concerned about rendering as I rarely do that.
      I have noticed there are pros and cons between mobile workstations and gaming laptops. Anyway, after weeks of reading reviews, articles, and videos, I need to take a breath of air.  So far I am leaning toward an 8th gen i7.
      But the question is, if YOU were to buy one today (and needed to do what i do) what would it be?

I appreciate your suggestions.