Shadows Inconsistent Between Camera View And Plan View

Nyngan

Hi,

I have set up a Sun Angle line to accurately show the shadows across the house that I am working on. Shadows are showing both on the plan view and camera views.  

However the shadows that are shown on my plan view are quite different to those that are rendered when I use camera views, perspective full overview or ray traces.  I have removed all the terrain to see if that was the problem but it didnt help.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem?

CA Premier X6

Thanks,

Steve

I have found that they are pretty close but not perfect.  Take a look at this picture.  I made a copy of the plan view shadow and then converted it into a terrain feature.  You can see that there are a couple of differences around the edges but overall they match pretty good.  If you are seeing a problem where they don't match, you should post a plan or report it to tech support.

BTW, I think the plan view shadows only show shadows for walls and roofs.  You might be seeing shadows made by other objects in your camera views.

post-844-0-64678500-1412953730_thumb.jpg

Steve:

Here's 3 images of a quick model I did.  To me, the shadows shown are pretty much what I would expect to see from Chief.  In the plan view shadows on the terrain, there's some squiggled lines that are showing for some reason.  The terrain is flat so not sure why they showed up.

post-191-0-20588800-1412959142_thumb.jpg       post-191-0-25572100-1412957860_thumb.jpg       post-191-0-79602900-1412957881_thumb.jpg

Michael,

It's probably because your shadows are so long for so much of the year that you don't realize that they should be any different than the surrounding areas.  ;)

I think perhaps you might be right.  It was a nice sunny summer, but its been pretty constantly below freezing for the last week or so and we're losing around 5 min. 40 seconds of daylight everyday right now.

Thanks all for the replies, a great discussion group you have here!

Have attached a couple of screenshots and the plan zipped.  I have (very roughly) modelled the two story house next door to see what sort of shadow it will cast over my place.  You can see in the plan view the shadow doesnt really hit the house but in the camera view it does.

Thanks again for the assistance,

Steve. 

51.zip

post-2845-0-57980500-1413003902_thumb.png

post-2845-0-31162800-1413003904_thumb.png

Do you have "Always Update" checked for your Sun Shadow in your Sun Angle Specification dialog box > Earth Data option?

It almost looks to me like you may have changed something in your plan but for some reason your plan shadow didn't update.  If you have a zoomed out 3D Full Overview camera view tiled vertically beside your plan view and then open your Sun Angle Specification dbx > Earth Data and have it drug over to the side such that you can watch both the 3D Full Overview and the plan view,  you can then change the Date and Time data in the the Sun Angle Spec. dbx and watch the shadows change immediately provided you have "Always Update" checked.

If that doesn't work and the shadows still looked messed up, you need to try to post your plan again.  Follow Michael's directions in his "Post the Plan" thread and it should work.  The key to posting plans is "YOU HAVE TO SAVE YOUR PLAN AND THEN "CLOSE YOUR PLAN" before making a compressed copy of it.  You don't have to close Chief, just your plan before doing that.

To me, your image can't be the way you are showing it unless you made some change to your plan OR your plan shadow didn't update.