JoOsmond

Drawing a roof with box gutters

I'm designing a small extension for someone and they want the new roof to be a skillion roof, which creates a butterfly roof where it meets the existing roof.  There will need to be a box gutter...does anyone know how to show the box gutter where the two roofs meet?

Box gutter.JPG

What does your box gutter need to look like, and where/how is it positioned?

It appears you would need a cricket to have any chance of that draining ?

You may find some tips here: 

image.thumb.png.0f2fc9ae99379b7ae051995251fe1b77.png

It will need to be a wide gutter running between the two roofs....something like this image I've attached, but a wider gutter...

You must be in a much friendlier climate than I am here in Canada but I would likely start with the gutter as a roof plane and just modify the materials as necessary.

I think this kind of thing is faster and easier to just model as close as possible and use a cad detail for the gutter details

• Upvote 1

If you're in a freezing climate or have a lot of trees around the house I would run run away from that recessed gutter detail.  Asking for problems.

A leak looking for a place to happen!:o If this is for a client you do need to advise them of the very high likely hood of roof leaks and this gutter will most likely be the cause! If it is for you, no design is worth the trouble THIS will cause you. Maybe not the first or second rain, but boy, if you get one of those DOWN POURS, (maybe you're in a dessert climate) the night-mares will begin.

• Upvote 1