knnbmr

Add Gable Section to High Shed Roof

Recommended Posts

Hello - I need to finish a plan but can't seem to figure out my very last little issue. I need to add a small gable over this front porch. The roof is a high shed roof, gabled on the right side. Any ideas? I've tried changing the porch roof to a gable and nothing happens, I've tried a bunch of other little things and all it does is mess with the roof pitch of that area. 

Thanks in Advance - Keenan

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.25.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.28.44 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manually draw the needed roof planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, solver said:

Manually draw the needed roof planes.

Solver, can you please recommend a tutorial? I’ve looked at a couple and they don’t necessarily explain what I need. 

Thanks for your response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, knnbmr said:

Hello - I need to finish a plan but can't seem to figure out my very last little issue. I need to add a small gable over this front porch. The roof is a high shed roof, gabled on the right side. Any ideas? I've tried changing the porch roof to a gable and nothing happens, I've tried a bunch of other little things and all it does is mess with the roof pitch of that area. 

Thanks in Advance - Keenan

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.25.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.28.44 PM.png

You should post the plan...

Also...where do you want this gable roof?  Do you want it located above the 2nd floor plate...or at first floor line to enclose the porch (this would be a bad idea...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SNestor said:

You should post the plan...

Also...where do you want this gable roof?  Do you want it located above the 2nd floor plate...or at first floor line to enclose the porch (this would be a bad idea...)

I can try to post the plan later when I am at my computer. The would be on the roofline. So above the porch. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow Solver's advice. Manual roofs are quite handy as he said. Try this vid. Cut and join using plines. 

Here is the link to a short video tutorial I created earlier.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you’re client's bigger problem will be the flooding in his home. 

Please see an architect or draftsman to correct your roof. 

I’m not sure why nobody has mentioned it here yet. 

I didn’t open the plan. I’m just looking at the first image in the post. Yikes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I think you’re client's bigger problem will be the flooding in his home. 

Please see an architect or draftsman to correct your roof. 

I’m not sure why nobody has mentioned it here yet. 

I didn’t open the plan. I’m just looking at the first image in the post. Yikes!

You got that by looking at the front elevation pic? Impressive. I don't think he understood when he was asked to post his plan. He shared the layout in a pdf format. Not the plan file. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Rosco2017 said:

You got that by looking at the front elevation pic? Impressive. I don't think he understood when he was asked to post his plan. He shared the layout in a pdf format. Not the plan file. 

I got that by looking at this...

 

B10ADA98-430E-48EB-BB9B-0FC99BADEA28.thumb.jpeg.049afa50082b954667273bd942c91aff.jpeg

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got it work with the ROOF GABLE LINE that Scott Harris recommended. Michael_Gia - I posted a different view of the elevation. 

 

Thank you all for your suggestions!

 

Trying to get a profile pic to upload but all my files are too big!

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 8.06.01 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27617
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    zzubin
    Newest Member
    zzubin
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By ChristinoDesign
      We're trying to figure out how to change the angle of pendent lights on vaulted ceilings. When we create the ceiling angle, the lights follow and aren't angled properly. How do we change the lights so they go vertical rather than at a tilt?
    • By Alyssa5
      Hi,
      I am using Chief Architect X8 on a Mac.
      I am having trouble with roof planes - I want to be able to change the baseline height but it keeps defaulting back and won't alter.
      Yet when I open the same file on another computer I can change it
      Any suggestions?
       
      Thanks
    • By josiemlittle
      Hello, I’m needing help lowering the roof. I’m trying to make a 50x80x16 shop with the pitch lower than the default gable height. I’m new to this and I’m hoping this software will help build our dreams on our farm. I want the look of the attached photo with the front being the 80 ft side. 

    • By amydutton
      How do I put a roof return on this roof? Can't find a video about it anywhere on the Chief Website... is there another name for it?
       
      See attachment, and where I drew in black.